RRC Heater not working

JourneyMan

Hi,

I've changed my radiator in my Classic.

The first problem is the heater isn't blowing hot and the second problem is the fan blows on all speeds out of the passenger side vents but nothing out of the drivers side.

Any ideas on why the heaters not blowing hot air, I understand the heater is fed off the engine coolant, the main radiator hoses feel hot, the temp gauge inside the car goes up to sightly below the centre of the gauge and the coolant level is covering the cross/level marker in the expansion tank and its 50/50 mix.

Any ideas?? Air lock???

Is there 2 fans inside the heater unit or just one, which would explain why one side is working and the other isn't?

The problem is I bought the car from eBay as a none runner, so I don't know whether the heater ever worked. :o

Cheers

What year?, What engine?

Down the back of the engine are two hoses going into the bulkhead. They may have exaggerated 'U' bends in them depending on model/engine. When the engine is hot both these pipes should be hot as the heater is effectively on all the time having no water control valve. If they are hot the problem is in the control flaps of the heater.

If they are cold or one is colder than the other then you either have a blockage or an air lock. There will be a join in both of the pipes so open one of those joins and see if you can get a flow. You could remove both and stick a garden hose and see if you can flush it through.

The other problem is likely to be the control flaps which are buried deep in the dash. may also be worth checking the vacuum connections are in place and connected. These go from the manifold down to a plastic sphere behind the nearside headlight and from there back and through the bulkhead to the heater. The heater control flaps are moved by this vacuum.

Steve

Ok, with the top off the expansion tank and the cap out of the top of the rad and letting the engine get warm, I've now got heat out of the Window Demist Vents on the top of the dash, so I'm guessing I had an airlock. :D

But I'm still getting no output from the drivers side vent to the right of the clock but am getting air out of the passenger side, so I don't know if I've got a stuck flap on the drivers side, now unfortunately I don't have an owners manual for either of my RRC's so excuse the potentially stupid question....

With the far left vertical heater control pushed up towards the little picture of the vent and the heater on on hot, should I get hot air out of the vents where the clock is? :huh:

Cheers

The corrugated tube to the driver's side vent will be kinked and crushed in its fight through the under dash wiring and past the steering column.

Drop the lower dash off and see if you can free it up. Easy enough job, just remember which screw goes where!

Manuals at http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php

The vents each side of the clock on mine (1986) are cold air only & operated by the up & down lever on the nearside of the heater controls (has an O at the bottom & a picture of a vent at the top).

That's correct as they are not connected to the heating system so unless anyone knows different, I would think all Classics will be the same.

Aha,

Cheers guys, but I think I've still got a minor problem with not getting any air movement out of the vent to the right of the clock.

I'll investigate further.

Thanks for everyones help.

Does anyone know any resources for taking the lower dash section out, got LR W/shop manual but it doesn't cover it for this MY of RR?

Cheers

Mark

The Rave manual doesn't cover the earlier ones although I would have thought a 93 would be. I'll have to dig out the disc later

Mine's an 86 & I work from the LR workshop manual (about 2 1/2 inches thick!)Publication Number SRR660ENWM which covers MY 1986 to 1989 which is the 3.5 carb & EFi (hotwire & flapper), the VM diesels, LT230 & BW transfer boxes, ZF autobox & LT77 manual. Be worth looking out for one, IIRC I bought mine through the LRO online bookshop about 14 years ago.

IIRC the clockside vents will pull off the dash (my wife managed to do that when cleaning inside the car!) & click back in but I've not had to take that part of the dash apart so I don't know what you'll find behind them.

There are 6 hoses from the heater, 2 leaf to the cirular vents on top of the dash, 2 lead to the vents at each side of the dash and the other 2 run under the transmission tunnel cover & stick out of the rear of the cubby box to provide air to the rear floor.

I haven't got aircon so can't help with any pipework for that.