wont rev

mat6028

First let me say hello,found some realy usefull posts on here.

Now my problem i could do with some help with.

Got a 96 300tdi,starts fine first time but will not rev over 2500 rpm.If i keep my foot on the gas it revs to 2500 then dies back to 1000rpm then back up to 2500 and so on.Could sit there all day it woul just keep doing it.

Now the bits i have tried.

new fuel filter,lift pump,cleaned sedometer,isolated the fuel supply by connecting a supply pipe direct to the lift pump from a fuel can,no change.

checked inlet hoses for delamiation/splits etc.

bypassed fuel filter from lift pump to eliminate air induction.

placed live feed to solenoid to eliminate imobiliser.

Removed injectors they look ok.

Any ideas? In Wolverhampton if anyone knows a good diesel mech

More questions:

1. Is it a manual transmission or auto (with the EDC version of the 300tdi)?

2. Does it still have the EGR?

3 When you say you keep the foot on the accelerator and it revs from 1000 to 2500 rpm and back on its own, do you do this with the gearbox in neutral, i.e. vehicle not moving?

4. Roughly how long it takes to get from 1000 rpm to 2500 and how long it takes to loose the rpms down to 1000 (if you test that with the vehicle not moving, otherwise disregard this Q).

5.It started all of a sudden or you bought it like that? Any recent history of engine breakdowns/problems?

Welcome to the forum :)

ave you checked the hoses from the intercooler to the engine and from the turbo to the engine. Are they collapsing? check to see if they have started delaminating. My did and they completely starve the engine of air and thus power once the turbo kicks in

Put a new air filter in and checked the hoses for delamination.

I got the car like this,i have not try'd to disconect the intercooler hose yet but have run it with all the other disconected.

It has the egr,have moved it to check it is not sticking.

it revs quiet freely up and down,got the car in neutral

I am wondering if i have got a duff new lift pump.

its a manual

thanks for the replies

Put a new air filter in and checked the hoses for delamination.

I got the car like this,i have not try'd to disconect the intercooler hose yet but have run it with all the other disconected.

It has the egr,have moved it to check it is not sticking.

it revs quiet freely up and down,got the car in neutral

I am wondering if i have got a duff new lift pump.

its a manual

thanks for the replies

Ok. I suspected you bought it like that. Possibly it was run on veggie or sat for a long time.

Try these:

- disconnect the air hose in between intercooler and intake manifold and let it breathe freely (preferably not in a dusty environment) - only for test porpoises, don't drive it on the road like that

- make sure EGR is not blocked open , disconnect it electrically and from the vacuum hose - preferably remove it or fit a blocking plate before it.

- fill a very clean plastic bottle with clean diesel taken from the fuel filter output (manually pump the fuel pump), i.e fill it with filtered diesel

- feed a clear hose directly from the injection pump intake to the plastic bottle

See how it works. The rpms should not vary. If it still does it and presuming all cyl are firing then I'm afraid it's the inj pump at fault.

One other thing to check is if there are no air bubbles coming out on the return pipe (fit a clear hose) from the inj pump. This would mean the inj pump sucks air somewhere but this would mean some traces of fuel on it's body as well. Worth to check though.