Steering on 110

Is it the steering box  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is it the steering box

• Yes
    • No
    • other disastorous issue

Right- i'm losing the plot with this.

I THINK i have pinpointed the problem to the steering box. The bottom of the shaft out of the box has a bit of play. I have tried as much as i can to centre the arm off the box, which hasn't helped at all. All ball joints are new and panhard rod bushes are in good fettle!

Is there anything else it could be before i take out the box and try and find a good 2nd hand one? (has anyone got a 4 bolt one).

Steering feels really uneasy on a corner, and it is wandering- not violently, but enough to notice!!!

GW

______

dito.

Repaced mine today and for the first time that I have the Defender its driving to where I want. I mean exactly to where I want - and without play. For sure I've done all bushes, bearings and pins before.

The issue was that the drop arm had play on the output shaft and the shaft had play itself. I'm sure that a new seal, bearing and drop arm would have solved the problem also but I didn't trust the box. It had done 170k including heavy off road and was over adjusted by the previous owner before.

I got a second hand one from ebay for £70 and I was lucky as it appears to be a very recently overhauled one. Works great and the swap took just 2 hrs (I know that there are some here which could do it in 30min and it is not my intention to start a race).

I have wound the top screw right in until it goes tight. Has made 'some' improvement, but still not good enough!!!

You shoudn't do this may be dangerous. The screw is for readjusting the steering box that's right so far. However, this is almost never the problem. Adjusting should be done with great care and by two persons. One rocking the steering wheel while the other adjusts the bolt until there is no play in the centre position. As said, this will only cure play in the centre. If you turn in the screw too far the box a) may get damaged, b) may block when you don't need it.

Which one? I thought you'd replaced them all! Not Britpart were they.

Not quite! The swan neck thing that connects to the drop arm had managed to eat a few threads in the new sumo bar, meaning it was waggling about without really being safe, so i took it off and had to put the old one back on. I have just got a shorter bar which has allowed me to get the drop arm nicely in the middle. A vastly improved steering. Now i have a few weeks grace to be able to drive it before i change the box over too.