300TDI Mods

MITCHF

Got my 300TDI Auto back tonight.

Just fitted - K&N Filter + EGR Blanking Kit + Decat pipe + Middle silencer removed.

Happy Days :) , not a lot of expense, definate improvement in performance.

Recommend these improvements :D

I'll let you know in a few weeks what the economy is like.

Mitch

Just fitted - K&N Filter + EGR Blanking Kit + Decat pipe + Middle silencer removed.

Mitch

Or improvement to induction exhaust noise leading to the assumption

your travelling faster. :rolleyes::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Mitch

anything to report on economy? or indeed emmissions...

anything to report on economy? or indeed emmissions...

The economy is slightly better over the last few weeks, although I'm currently running down a full tank to compare to the full tank pre mods (same type of use). This will take a few more days, then I'll have a tangable comparison.

The emmissions appear better but not tested, I used to get a black belch from the exhaust on start up, rev up high and when it changes to top at 50mph (auto). I still get some smoke but it's not black and there's less of it.

The performance has improved (not a sports car) but there is some improvement, more noticeable from 50 -70.

The K&N I fitted was a panel filter direct replacement, not an induction kit, so there is no intrusive induction noise.

Cheers

Or improvement to induction exhaust noise leading to the assumption

your travelling faster. :rolleyes::lol:

you miserable bu88er <_<

yes it'll be quicker with those mods and a bit noisier and your fuel economy will go down if you use it! Ignore q-rover, he`s just being horrid. A knacked EGR will sap loads of power and the cat converter robs about 5bhp on a tdi. Just those 2 alone will make a difference. Mid silencer replacement and de-cat will also help your turbo spool up marginally quicker due to less backpressure.

Ditch the k&n and fit a normal element, you wont lose any performance but you wont knacker your engine either.

sad.gif

Standard paper filter is better :)

Les.

Im not so sure this is correct or the power of the tinternet.Better at what? It has been seen that dust /sand can pass a "Performance filter" but unless im mistaken this has been under extreme use in harsh enviroments ie dessert racing etc and most cars that do that now run two filters in series.That must in my book make it a better filter for removing very fine dust. I wonder how much difference it makes on a dyno and therefore assuming an increase in performance it has to be down to what you want to use your car for!I ran an old Lotus for 5 or 6 years with just short trumpets and a wire cage, no filter at all. I never drove the sahara in it and as far as im aware it is still going strong now,that was therfore fine for my purpose..Not starting a new debate on filters, just saying that when it comes to the internet the force is strong my friend. ;)

If you put two same filters in line, then the same particles that pass through one are likely to pass through both.

There was a link on here to a scientific test of the various filters - genuine paper, after market items, and the likes of K&N. If I remember right - K&N came very close to the bottom, whereas the paper type were at or close to the top. Dyno difference would be very small, and not worth the cost of possible engine damage. Jim Attrill posted a couple of pics of an engine that had been run on K&N's almost from new and the bores were trashed.

Les.

Morning Les,

I was not for one second suggesting you were making up stories as i know you and you have better things to do, i am only suggesting that the answer is not as straight as the statment you made.I am more than aware that there a treads about the subject, along with other threads about wrapping bits of wire around your fuel pipes and putting air flow disrupter's in the inlet. I pretty sure if you look long and hard enough you will find a story about a lucky rabbits foot and turning around on the spot three times before you drive your car but it is of no importance to the poor chap that came on here celebrating his joy that he had done what was right for his personnal use. My old red 300 that i used for towing has done 120000 miles now with the last 65000 on a K&N and it is what i would consider to be one of the better engines out there. I also have a Mustang that has been in the family from new and was bought and run in Oman (nice and hot and dusty) for many years before it was returned here via France. It runs a paper element and has around 160000km on the clock but is not what i would say was a better example of that type of engine.None of this means anything.Have a nice day :P PS by two filters i meant that most now run a cyclone "tractor" type of prefilter to prevent the main element from clogging up as quickly.