coil spring conversion

markju

hi, recently fitted our disco td5 with coil springs bought from paddocks. one of the old bags had a slow leak and its a depressing sight to come out in the morning and find your motor down on one side and looking bloody sad for itself.

nice easy job to do and to disable the compresser i pulled the relevant fuse. vast improvement i think to the general handling.

since then if the abs should kick in, say when the local roundabout is wet and a bit greasy, it appears that which ever whel has slipped it gets reported to the ecu as a faulty sensor and locks on the warning light. doesn't bother me too much but her indoors who drives it most does go on a bit. the local garage can reset it and the only fault they can find is the air compressor--- obviously cos the fuse is in the glovebox!!

anyone else found this or is it just me?

as an extra-- some time ago the disco had a hissy fit and most of the warning lights came on. no apparent fault, but turning the headlights on caused the rear windscreen wipers to operate!! turned out to be a faulty earth on the n/s headlight!!

If you haven't plugged it into a computer to change the SLABS ECU mode to coil springs then that will be your problem - I have seen a case before when somebody tried to do it on the cheap and ended up with a dashboard full of warning lights.

Takes 5 minutes to change the setting with a Testbook and everything should behave after that if it is that causing the problem. If it isn't the problem, then reading the fault codes out of the SLABS ECU will take about another 30 sec.

i imagine that testbook is only avaiable at landrover franchised garages ?

My local independant garage has testbook (or a version of it). He sorted an ABS, and ACE and reprogrammed a new key for my td5. He just plugs-in under the steering column.