Disturbing problem?, or just another L/R foible?

trr777

Hi all, my wife's 2ootdi has a little problem, every now and then it wont start, in fact it wont even turn over, just a cough from the starter motor, it will do this half a dozen or so turns of the key and then it will start. I've checked all the obvious, nothing loose or hanging off, broken or busted. any help apreciated, thanks.

Could be a worn ignition switch (on the back of the lock mechanism). To test this - the next time it does it, wiggle the ignition key while in the start position. Bad earth could also be the problem, poor connection on the solenoid itself, or possibly the starter motor itself.

Les.

Sunds like the solenoid on the starter, very early 200tdi's had a problem with water getting in and rusting the iron core making it stick. After a lot of communication between myself and LR concerning it passing tha MOD required standards the solenoid was revised and I haven't had a problem with mine since. My first one was on one of the first engine retrofit kits which got through six solenoids in six months.

Check the battery connections for corrosion / tightness remove them and clean inside (only if you know the radio code etc) then work your way from the battery down to the earth connection and the engine earth connection, same on the positive down to the starter motor, check from tightness and condition, check that the 12v feed to the starter is in good order, in a situation where it wont turn over give the starter solenoid a sharp clout and try it again, if it then starts you could remove the starter and clean the solenoid internally but replacement will be better and maybe the only cure.

You could use a jump cable from engine to earth to prove the earth is good.