diff lock light problem.

Hi guys,

I've re built a 110 ex army defender.It came with no gearbox.I have fitted a gearbox and transfer box from a defender 90.

The problem is, when in difflock (lever over to the left ) the difflock light goes out.And when out of diff lock it comes on !!

I've had the switch out and it works as it should, when pushed in on the end it connects the 2 terminals and grounds the bulb.

When i stuck a allen key in the hole, the dimple is there when in diff lock meaning it won't push the switch.And when pushed back out of diff lock no hole , ie it pushes the switch on. Whats wrong ?

I've checked the workshop manual and it says that pushing the lever to the right will engage difflock,which would make my light right, appart from the difflock engages when you push the lever to the left ! God knows whats wrong here.

Good one!

I can only think that there's a transfer box which works the other way round. DO you know hat type of transfer box you have, as you probably just need a matching switch. A part number adult we be along to help us shortly, no doubt.

Might be worth while jacking up one of the front wheels with the handbrake on and turn the jacked wheel with the difflock lever to the right and left, just to see which way round the difflock lever does actually work, (if at all!)

Might be worth while jacking up one of the front wheels with the handbrake on and turn the jacked wheel with the difflock lever to the right and left, just to see which way round the difflock lever does actually work, (if at all!)

WRT the snapshot of the parts book (below) I wonder if the (un-numbered) operating arm (between 12 and 17) has been put on 180 degrees out (possible, I think). If so, the difflock light is right and the lever would be wrong, so crwoody's suggestion will answer the question for you.

post-8420-125648974702_thumb.jpg

Hi guys and thanks for the replys.

I thought at first maybe the shaft was 180 degrees out but it turned out to be more simple than that.

I double checked the difflock was engaging by jacking a wheel up and spinning it.It turns out that the difflock hadn't engaged as i thought it had because once i span the wheel and put it into difflock it suddenly engaged,and something moved inside the switch hole.I then re set the switch height and it worked perfectly.

So basically, i had set the switch but although i was moving the lever left and right it hadn't engaged the lock as i thought.The reason i thought it had gone in was the shaft below the switch in the casing was moving.Once the lever is moved the shaft inside moves,but a wheel needs spinning and something else moves over the shaft inside the casing.

So if anyone ever has this problem,make sure its properly in diff lock before trying to set the switch height.

thanks,

andy