Blowing Radiator

Mike Carnogo

Hi All. I have a 2000 Range Rover 2.5 BMW engine that has split the top of the radiator again. It has had a new thermostat and radiator cap. The cylinder head has been removed and pressure tested for leaks. I have removed the water pump to check if the impeller is either broken or loose, but no other faults found. This will be the third radiator that has been fitted. :(

From another forum, could relate to your problem.

P38A DIESEL RADITAORS BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!

I bought earlier this year for one of my customer a brand new radiator as his was leaking . no nothing wrong with that new coolant vehicle ran to temp heater orings replaced previously and no other leaks found but 3 days ago his rad burst at the top when i contacted the rad firm they informed me that it is a known fault and not covered under warranty!!!!!

now the firm says there are aware and have independant reports detailing this very coman fault? spoke to my mate at the local land rover dealer first he has heard of it as well!

anybody else had this problem?

i'm suspecting the cap as the engine is a brand new unit(new state and water pump) from land rover only 30,000 miles old very well serviced and maintained when it went it didn't even over heat he stopped straight away and was recovered

Hi All. I have a 2000 Range Rover 2.5 BMW engine that has split the top of the radiator again. It has had a new thermostat and radiator cap. The cylinder head has been removed and pressure tested for leaks. I have removed the water pump to check if the impeller is either broken or loose, but no other faults found. This will be the third radiator that has been fitted. :(

If the head gasket isn't blown then the radiator/s must be assumed faulty assuming the new radiator was delivered with a new cap of the correct part number.

Many years ago we had a Ford transit van, delivered new in Australia but fitted with an Australian ford '6' engine, a few years later during a service the dealer fitted a new radiator cap, after that we had problems, eventually we checked the cap and it had the correct part number but was slightly longer than the original which for some reason hadn't been binned, about 4 or 5mm if I recall, we then sourced another same length as the original (Different part number)that was from another English Ford and had no more trouble.

When we pointed out the solution to the dealer his only comment was "Ok, that's interesting we'll make a note in the Service manual and inform Ford Australia".

Hi again. Thanks for that information. I will have a word with my local Land Rover dealer about the cap. The new cap that I fitted should have been the correct one that they supplied, but will check with another cap?

Some other bit of information about the vehicle is that the owner had not long done a trip from Bristol to Plymouth, towing a large boat and trailer. He said he had no fault with it on that trip but did say that he had not checked the water level before he did the next one.

Hi vougese39, yes I did borrow your info "sorry" just spreading the knowledge with the standard l/r obsession :) it will be interesting to see any response to this issue.

One classic blew its expansion bottle up after a head gasket job with new cap and stat but that (I assume) was due to an internal crack which we never found the fault.

I had the same problem with my 2001 2.5 HDSE, rad split right across the top. No indications that it was about to happen, no water loss (until it went!), temp guage holding steady in centre. At the time I was returning from holiday, pulling laden caravan and up a steep hill. Kicked down and pulled out to overtake a lorry and bang it went. Fortunately I was able to pull into a lay-by right away so no driving whilst overheating and then rescued by RAC. I've changed the radiator and cap but no obvious cause for it happening. Loking around I see it is a very common fault. My worry is how long before it happens again? Can anybody reassure me please?

• 1 month later...

Ive recently had the same problem to, no one mentions or seems to know if its pressure or superheating of air in the top of the rad? ,I know Allisport can make an alloy one at a price but if its pressure splitting standard ones then I wonder what will bust instead???!!!! :(

my customer has had another rad and i have pressure tested the system over quite a few hours running and driving tand the system never reached more than .9 bar 14ish psi the whole time so we have assumed that the rad is at fault so at the moment i can only think that we have been supplied a cheap made rad so have spoken to a friend at land rover and they have no rad issues so we have fitted a gen rad over a cheapo will keep you posted