servicing 2.25 diesel series2

andrew69

hi complete novice servicing my series 2a. bought full gasket overhaul set wondering any tips ie do you need to use silicon? do you wet the paper gaskets before you fit. also engine can be very smoky {blue} read in workshop manual about setting the tappets i have bought a starter handle to have a go at fixing this. anything i need to know about using a starter handle to turn the engine over to do this job. also whats the best way to clean the air filter, seen on tv someone clean similar thing in petrol. is this ok to do or is there a better way. cheers andrew.

Hi Andrew,

we all start at zero, so ask away!

Gaskets, put a smear of grease (LM grease) on both sides.

Get a repair operations manual (google it) it has most procedures spelled out. Haynes manuals are good too. For the diesel the engine is hard work to turn with the handle (but dooable) so you want to minimise the number of turns, but basically which ever valve is most open (spring compressed) then do the mirror valve, being the one the same number of valves in from the other end of the engine. Valve 1 open, do valve 8. valve 4 open do valve 5.

Turn the hendle until another valve is closed etc.

I find that getting the adjuster locknuts to lock without losing the adjustment hard, so pick your screwdriver carefully - a big bladed stubby works for me. remember, it isn't a ferrari so close is usually close enough. If the next size up goes in easily then readjust.

Air filter should be cleaned with petrol and then filled up to the mark with whatever oil is kicking about.

G.

Your Series 2a should have an oil bath type of air cleaner (Big black or silver greasy cylindrical thing behind the battery) - and should be emptied out, cleaned and refilled with oil to the level mark. Any cheap oil will do.

ejparrot is quite correct but is referring to a paper element type of air cleaner - as fitted to more modern vehicles. These should not be blown out with compressed air and re-fitted.