Disco stereo fault

fatbloke

Hi Guys

Got a weird fault on my stereo in my 93 200Tdi. When I switch the stereo on there is no sound coming from the speakers, if I unplug the speaker cable from the rear of the unit and plug it back in again I get sound, If I then turn off the system and back on again I get no sound until I do the speaker cable again.

I think there is a speaker amp in the drivers footwell, but the rear speakers are not wired thro this as I have fitted a crossover and tweeters in the front coupled with the speakers in the rear.

Any ideas ?

This info may or may not be of use to you.

On my NAS 1997 Disco V-8 i had lost sound to the main speakers although there was a faint sound from the rear door speakers (which have a separate amplifier) I checked all radio related fuses, in fact all fuses.....The fault was found to be a blown fuse (I think it was a 7.5 amp) in the main amplifier, located on the outside wall of the passengers foot well.... Note: Mine is a right hand drive.

The amp is accessible by dropping the lid of the glove box, you do this by opening the box and pressing in on the retaining "thingys"