Transfer box question

DiscoHere

Hi Guys

Here is a fault someone may be able to assist with.

I had a problem with my gear box and I left it with a good and reputable gearbox centre for repair. They removed it and rebuilt the relevant parts. All seemed fine and it worked well. About 6 months later I had occasion to use the low range gears only to discover the lever worked completely in reverse of what it should do. (High ratio gears where low should be and vise versa).

The gearbox centre said they would fix it for me anytime at all but I am wondering what they did and is it ok the way it is now? Any suggestions?

Regards

Hugh

so, to be clear it is just high/low the wrong way around. or is it diff lock aswell?

does the diff lock light come on when you are not in diff lock, or does it not light at all. you will know if it is in diff lock, as if you turn wheel to full lock, it will want to stall if diff lock is engaged, if it just freely turns, you are not in diff lock.

if it is just high/low selecting, i would suggest that they have put the lever selector out of sync, or 180 degrees out. it will be a straightforward fix for the reconditioners as they will know these units fairly well from underneath, you might invalidate the warranty they give if you fiddle. it is harmless if it is working the wrong way around, but you need to be sure you dont drive around in diff lock or you will trout your transfer box.

get it fixed from them, otherwise come back to the forum with your intentions.

regards

richard

Yep, agree with Mobyone - suggest you get the garage to repair their faulty work.

The high/low selector mecahnism is awkward to get at, and was probably installed slightly out of sync. Probably not a major problem, but worth getting fixed...