200 TDi transmission woes

Dave Disco

My 200 is making some funny noises. It's when I'm on a light throttle into the overrun, the transmission bangs and vibrates. I've checked both propshafts and they are in good order, all the joints are fine with no play or stifness. The difflock is not on and I can feel no play in the flanges the propshafts connect to. I can feel the vibration through the transfer box gear stick but can feel very little through the main gearbox stick. The main gearbox is quiet with superb gear changes, even into secind when cold! I've come to thinking the transfer box is the culprit. I ran without the rear prop attached last week for a few miles and with the difflock on, the noise was horrible! Am I thinking the right way by a finger pointing at the transfer box?

I would be inclined to check the condition of the output splines on your main gearbox. They are notorious for wear on LT77's due to lack of lubrication.

easiest way to check would be to drop the cover off the back of the transfer box, remove the input gear and inspect the inside of the input gear and the spines on the output shaft.

hth

Mark

Another thing to do is to remove the front prop and drive on the rear prop only. If the noise/vibration it's still there (possibly as loud as when you drove on the front prop only), then it's something in the TB at fault. Otherwise might be the front prop/diff/flanges.

i agree with les, take off the front prop and see if it still vibrates, then do the same with rear prop removed.

also, are you sure the diff lock is disengaged. the light switch is notorious for failing or not indicating correctly. the easiest way to check this is to turn wheel on full lock, if the diff lock is on, it should stall if you let it. if it does not stall then the chances are it is not in diff lock. might be worth doing this first, as it could save you the hassle in taking off props.

regards

richard