Head off Time!

Hi peeps,

blew the head gasket last night on my way home from work (luckily 2 miles before joining the M25!) - most of the coolant was ejected via expansion cap and had a very wet/oily exhaust! Finally got the truck on drive at 2am this morning.

Will pull the head of tonight after work - can enyone recommend a decent gasket kit for a disco 200Tdi? Will replace the head bolts aswell as I don't know the history of the engine.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Do you need a full head set? The head gasket will be seperate anyway because of the thickness variations. Head off job usually only requires head gasket, inlet/exhaust gasket, and rocker cover gasket. Payen, FAG, BGA, are all good makes of gasket. If you are going to strip the head, then a head gasket the same notches as your current one, then a 'Head Set' aka 'de-coke set' will be required, which should contain stem seals, thermostat gasket, possibly water pump gasket, injector sealing washers, O-rings, etc. You'll more than likely have a few bits over due to the set possibly covering more than one engine.

Les.

Thanks for the response guys - pulled the head off tonight, gaskets blown between cylinder and water channels on one & four.

Les - left injectors and thermostat in situ so guess I'll just need head & manifold gasket, is there any mileage in a full strip if there weren't any other problems? I had the plugs out sometime ago and number three was oily, has also been smoking when pulling away & under load - although in hind sight this could have been the gasket on it' way out.

Would an oily plug suggest valve stem seals?

Cheers,

Dave.

Ok - will strip down and generally clean & service before re-fitting.

What's the best way to check for 'warp' - is there any particular part that needs a straight edge on it, or just check as much as possible? Whats the best way to get rid of all the soot?

All help gratefully received.

Dave.