Known for wearing out aux belts?

SPendrey

Hi,

Odd question maybe, but are 300TDI's known for wearing out auxiliary belts quickly? I mean the one that drives the water pump etc. I put a new Continental belt on there less than 6 months ago to replace one that had longitudinal splits (causing a chirping noise). That noise is back now, so I checked the new(ish) belt, and again there are splits along it! Any thoughts on a possible cause?

Thanks,

Scott

is the tensioner ok? sometimes the squeek is from the tensioner, sometimes it is the belt. it can also be alternator bearings.

i put a washer behind the tensioner in the 9 o'clock position and tightened mine up. if that does not solve problem, put talc on the belt and see if it stops.

do you have the right number of ribs on the belt, and do you have any foreign debris or damage to any of the pulleys the belt goes around.

phew, that is about it i think, but some more knowledgeable people on here can add more to it. i am not familiar with that type of damage though. i hope someone else can help more.

richard

My belt split recently and when I was replacing it I was told it could have been one of the units (water, steering pump, tensioner or alternator) on the way out and csusing the belt to heat up. I have since being keeping a close eye on the whole thing.

I now notice the following a little squeek occasionaly but not sure what it is from. (perhaps the tensioner. The steering pump seems to work a little less efficiently when I go through floods. I am presuming the belt slips a little when it is wet. Not sure if this was always the case or if I am just becoming paranoid. Funny thing though the alternator light does not come on as it used to do in the 200tdi I had before this.

Hugh

• 2 months later...

hi Hugh,

i had the same problem in the beginning with my Disco,belts kept shredding at random intervals and it turned out to be because of the tensioner.Take the belt off (really easy)and check the tensioners bearing,the belt only has to slip a bit and then it catches the edge of the tensioner pulley which cuts it.

Tensioners are quite cheap and easy to fit,although be careful not to overtighten like i did,the block thread is alloy and a b***h to fix afterwards.

As for the steering problem in floods,mine still does it,probably not very serious,just a bit of water on it...

My alternator light only came on when the alternator actually died.