1 speed wiper

The front wipers on TheBeastie have intermittent and slow. If I put switch to fast then it usually lifts to sort of vertical and then stops which isn't much help when it does a downpour or there is masses of spray - as this week coming down from Dalwhinnie.

Does anyone know if this is a motor problem or is it like the park switch issue where you can simply replace a switch?

To the best of my knowledge the wiper motor has probably never had any maintenance but seems to work ok on the normal/slow sweep mode and the intermittent mode. It does not park brilliantly but never been an issue really.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

There is a resistor connected in series with the motor to drop the voltage for slow speed mode, for fast speed the resistor is by-passed by a contact on the control switch, so that suggests that the motor itself is OK and the switch is a bit past it's best.

There is a resistor connected in series with the motor to drop the voltage for slow speed mode, for fast speed the resistor is by-passed by a contact on the control switch, so that suggests that the motor itself is OK and the switch is a bit past it's best.

Err, no. The motor has three brushes (on item 12 in diagram below)

post-8420-12594141227_thumb.jpg

(from here )

This allows two different brush spacings and therefore two speeds. Most likely you need new brushes, but a whole motorisn't a huge price.

My apologies, I guess the earlier ones must be different then, I was going off the 300tdi diagram (attached), the Td5 is very similar too.

My apologies too: I didn't realise what a silly way of doing things LR had changed to (wasting energy in the resistor that is). I think I'm right up to and including 200tdi though, same as TD.

The front wipers on TheBeastie have intermittent and slow. If I put switch to fast then it usually lifts to sort of vertical and then stops which isn't much help when it does a downpour or there is masses of spray - as this week coming down from Dalwhinnie.

Does anyone know if this is a motor problem or is it like the park switch issue where you can simply replace a switch?

To the best of my knowledge the wiper motor has probably never had any maintenance but seems to work ok on the normal/slow sweep mode and the intermittent mode. It does not park brilliantly but never been an issue really.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

I had exactly the same problem with mine & it will get worse!! changed the motor and no more problems!!

Yikes, every post like this makes me feel much better about the decision to skip using Stock wiring, connectors, or switches (still debating what to do about the steering column and switches, may grab one intended for a replica build) but going with heavier harness, amp rated toggle switches, and avoiding relays, timers, and anything that has even spent time in a room with either Lucas or Ducati electrics just seems like basic sense :). Now finding loom coded wire has been a nightmare but I do not start doing more than a basic test harness until mid January when all the bodywork is back from paint :)