airportable bulkhead

dasterdly

evening,

has anybody rebuilt a bulkhead ? (excluding the vent panel)

if so, can standard series footwells be used ( modified of course ) easy ? difficult ?

can somebody suppy me with exact measurments for the following :

width of bulkhead

height of bulkhead

cheers...

Whilst series footwells can be used to replace those on a ltwt, they are quite different. Apart from being narrower than normal series footwells, the angles on airportable footwells are different as well. Not sure if it is still the case, but at one time the lightweight owners club used to make replacement items. Not even sure if the club is still going, it never was the most active of clubs.

I will measure the depth and width of mine tomorrow when I get home. The basic structure is pretty simple, a "goalpost" with various flat panels welded onto it, the only vaguely complex structure is the footwell area

Whilst series footwells can be used to replace those on a ltwt, they are quite different. Apart from being narrower than normal series footwells, the angles on airportable footwells are different as well. Not sure if it is still the case, but at one time the lightweight owners club used to make replacement items. Not even sure if the club is still going, it never was the most active of clubs.

I will measure the depth and width of mine tomorrow when I get home. The basic structure is pretty simple, a "goalpost" with various flat panels welded onto it, the only vaguely complex structure is the footwell area

evening,

thank you, i have stripped the bulkhead down to all its glorious rusty components, but the bottom of the "goalpost" is v/slighly bent, hence the need for the measurements.

cheers...

The lightweight land rover club is up and running,and they are the only supplier of footwell repair panels that are correct as dispite what some of the "experts" say the footwells are different.Have a look on the clubs website at www.lightweightlandroverclub.com.

The lightweight land rover club is up and running,and they are the only supplier of footwell repair panels that are correct as dispite what some of the "experts" say the footwells are different.Have a look on the clubs website at www.lightweightlandroverclub.com.

evening,

i emailed the CLUB SEC, but the email adress on the site dosnt work, as it was returned to me ! but i have emailed somebody else on the lightweight owners club website, so i will see what happens, after easter i will try ringing the telephone numbers supplied.

cheers...

• 2 weeks later...
evening,

i emailed the CLUB SEC, but the email adress on the site dosnt work, as it was returned to me ! but i have emailed somebody else on the lightweight owners club website, so i will see what happens, after easter i will try ringing the telephone numbers supplied.

cheers...

Hi dastardly, ive completely rebuilt my lower bulkhead on the existing "goalpost". One thing i would have done differently is weld a brace across the left and right posts at the bottom to hold the posts the correct width apart if you are doing it off the vehicle, otherwise the welding and fabrication can alter the differences meaning it won't fit when you put it back on (ask me how i know!)

Mine was rebuilt using sheet metal folded to a profile template i sent to a metal workers. They bent it up to the correct angles for a few bear tokens and I welded it together. It's not an exact rebuild i[',ve omitted the vertical bend in the passenger side next to the transmission tunnel as it made it easier to fabricate and didn't give you much extra room. Ive also changed the dashboard design, it mow sticks out rather than sitting flat the idea is to have a shelf at the left and right hand side a bit like a series 2 dash for all the junk that you have nowhere to put.

Landy_bulkhead3_thumb.jpg

engine_piped2_thumb.jpg

dash1_thumb.jpg

There are bigger pictures on the bodywork page of my site if you are interested, it might give you a few ideas (follow link below)

Cheers,

evening,

thank you, i have stripped the bulkhead down to all its glorious rusty components, but the bottom of the "goalpost" is v/slighly bent, hence the need for the measurements.

cheers...

Apologies for the delay, But I finally managed to take the measurements and made them as follows;

WIDTH 59.5 inches

HEIGHT 27.75

it was a bit difficult to get accurate measuremnts because of all the stuff fastened to the bulkhead. If they aren't accurate enough for you, or are wildly different to the measurements you are getting off yours, I will have another go at a different position.

Apologies for the delay, But I finally managed to take the measurements and made them as follows;

WIDTH 59.5 inches

HEIGHT 27.75

it was a bit difficult to get accurate measuremnts because of all the stuff fastened to the bulkhead. If they aren't accurate enough for you, or are wildly different to the measurements you are getting off yours, I will have another go at a different position.

evening,

i now have the measurements, and they are pretty much the same as the ones you have listed

i have 28" tall, and 59.3" wide so your tape measure is pretty accurate !

cheers...

Hi dastardly, ive completely rebuilt my lower bulkhead on the existing "goalpost". One thing i would have done differently is weld a brace across the left and right posts at the bottom to hold the posts the correct width apart if you are doing it off the vehicle, otherwise the welding and fabrication can alter the differences meaning it won't fit when you put it back on (ask me how i know!)

Mine was rebuilt using sheet metal folded to a profile template i sent to a metal workers. They bent it up to the correct angles for a few bear tokens and I welded it together. It's not an exact rebuild i[',ve omitted the vertical bend in the passenger side next to the transmission tunnel as it made it easier to fabricate and didn't give you much extra room. Ive also changed the dashboard design, it mow sticks out rather than sitting flat the idea is to have a shelf at the left and right hand side a bit like a series 2 dash for all the junk that you have nowhere to put.

Cheers,

evening lee,

the centre section of my bulkhead is fine, however, the footwells are completly shot, as is one "goalpost" leg,and both door hinge panels are shot, but other than that its plain sailing !!

i now have 2 new hinge repair panels and some 50mm box for the "goalpost" leg, which, when welded in place should give me the correct profiles for replacing the exsisting footwells.

i am sure i will need some more advice from you as the rebuild continues :-)

cheers...