Handbrake Problem

Hi All.

I went offroading a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that the handbrake didnt work very well, probably due to mud and water in the mechanism.

Now,I was at a junction today, with the handbrake on. As I pulled out, (after the relasing the handbrake), i realised the handbrake was stuck on. It was working well, as it nearly stalled the engine. I was halfway across a main road, so had to rev it loads while slipping the clutch to get out of the middle of the road. Then, a couple of seconds later, while still slipping the clutch, the handbrake released itself completely. Now, the handbrake doest work at all, almost as if the cable has snapped, except I've just looked and it hasnt. The cable seems to be moving the metal rod that goes into the drum like normal.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

i have the same problem its mud or grit stuck in the clam mec if u take the drum off the back and clean all the parts out with brake cleaner will work but best is if u remove the mec and grease it should stop this my one bent the linkage when if failed so once u cleaned it all might have to check the linkage and re-adjust it hope this helps

i have the same problem its mud or grit stuck in the clam mec if u take the drum off the back and clean all the parts out with brake cleaner will work but best is if u remove the mec and grease it should stop this my one bent the linkage when if failed so once u cleaned it all might have to check the linkage and re-adjust it hope this helps

Did yours fail in the same way? I.e. was stuck on, and then suddenly released?

Did yours fail in the same way? I.e. was stuck on, and then suddenly released?

yep but my one was so stuck had to put it in low range and give it load of noise pedal lol but back wheels wear locked so had to put diff lock on and drive it out of way once it happens it seams to do it all the time until u fix it