110 fan belt upgrade?

Hi All,

Son has just bought a 1991 110 200tdi CSW, it is as standard fitted with the old style v belt and 65amp alternator.

Is it possible to fit a belt and pullys that are used on the 300tdi?

Tried searching but got nowhere

Regards

Keith

The whole timing chest is different between the 200 and 300 tdi engines - so to run a serpentine belt as on the 300 you'd need to do some major surgery - or swap in a complete 300 tdi engine.

Personally I can't see the point - it's hardly an "upgrade" - more a step backwards in my view as at least with separate belts as on the 200 you've got some fallback if you have a problem such as a failed power steering pump. If you get an issue with a serpentine belt, that's it - no drive to any of the ancillaries and no go.

FWIW, I run a Defender 200 Tdi which is fitted with a Rangie 95 amp alternator - no problems with belt slip even under a full winch load.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Are you trying to upgrade the belts or upgrade the alternator output?

Both

sorry about the question to many cans of pop when i wrote it :rolleyes:

The alternator i was going to use one off a 300 tdi (100amp cause i have a couple of spares)

Just wondered if there was a way of using a serpentine belt instead of the v belt

Regards

Keith

The alternator i was going to use one off a 300 tdi (100amp cause i have a couple of spares)

I have a 100amp Marrelli alt from a 300Tdi Disco, on my Defender 200Tdi engine, change the 100amp alts pulley for the Vee belt type & IIRC realign the casing to fit the 200Tdi's alt mounting.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50433