200tdi running rough

richp110

hello all.

I'm having real bother getting a problem Ive got sorted.

I was driving home a few weeks ago and as I pulled off a slip road the engine started running rough (I put my foot down and nothing happened) I managed to get to a nearby carpark and got towed home.

Now I’ve got time to work on it I still can’t seem to sort it.

1.takes a little while longer to start

2.once started it runs ok

3.until I drive a little way or apply the throttle – then the engine starts surging (revs falling then rising)

4.I noticed today that when I turn off the engine it sounds like I can hear diesel running back into the tank (or perhaps air gurgling in)

I have checked all fuel lines and hose clamps and replaced some lengths of fuel pipe for piece of mind.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

will the injection pump function if I attach a length of pipe to the inlet and another to the outlet of the injection pump?

just to check if the lift pump is at fault?

Good idea, but it'll struggle.

If you take the pipe from the lift pump to the filter, and put it in a jam jar of clean fuel, the injection pump will suck fuel from the jam jar through the filter ok.

I think it's the second time today I've suggested this - must be a run on fuel problems!

Hello,

I've got a Disco 200Tdi in my Defender, It sounds like exactly the same symptoms.

What I have done is changed the lift pump out, now this sorted the surging, but it still doesn;t have any power whenever you throttle it.

I'm still working on bleeding the system as I belive its still got air in it - I got a lot of feedback from people saying it sounds like the system is drawing in air somewhere.

As there are 2 pumps in the system ther are only a few key areas that air can be drawm into the system, namly the suction sides of the pumps.

My next thing to check will be the lines from the tank to the lift pump, like LandyManLuke has said take the suction line off the lift pump and feed the lift pump from a external diesel source, I intend to do the same to the injection pump if If it still miss behaves.

Unfortunatly I'm away at the moment so can't work on it my rig, but I've just bought the Haynes manual for the Dico 1 to see if I can get to the bottom of the problem

Note: with regard to bleeding the fuel system, Haynes Discovery says start the engine with the throttle fully depressed, I've not tried this yet - might help if you get round to tinkering with the fuel system and need to re-bleed.

I'll let you know if I manage to get any further with mine.

Mav

TDi engines will self bleed quite happily. Once they cough into life any air in the fuel lines will be pushed down the fuel return inside about 30 seconds. This is thanks to a relatively large fuel gallery on the Bosch VE injection pump.

I have changed fuel filters without priming the fuel system and had it run fine when restarted, despite having a filter full of air.

I would suggest a clogged filter, knackered lift pump, loose fitting or some other restriction on the inlet side.

as i've sugested else where change main feul filter.

if this doesn't work start looking for reasons. Next would be the lift punp. easyest way to check is to crack off the bleed screw to the filter it should come out like a jet with the engine running.

As a diesel fitter if I get called out to a struggling engine the first thing I say is "have you changed the fuel filter" if the reply is NO then I change it then start looking for problems.