My snowy day on the Fosse

Turbocharger

I took the long route to finish my Christmas shopping, and didn't find any of the gridlock that the news is reporting... I have a new camera, so took the opportunity to test drive it too.

A lovely sign of the time of year.

post-277-126147425229_thumb.jpg

I was the first person today along the lane, so it was perfect and unspoiled.

post-277-126147430765_thumb.jpg

The ford wasn't too deep, but the water in the footwell was crushingly cold!

post-277-126147435701_thumb.jpg

Offroad winter scene.

post-277-126147440855_thumb.jpg

There was ice on several of the puddles along the route - this one was nearly half an inch thick!

post-277-12614744662_thumb.jpg

It's been a couple of years since I've been down to Easton Grey, and I was shocked at the level of erosion from illegal offroading there. It's a SSSI and a breeding ground for crayfish, but the local authority's concrete 'sharks teeth' are now scattered around, including in the river itself. What can you do when they have 4WD and winches?

post-277-126147452999_thumb.jpg

I had a (ahem) "moment" on the backroads on the way back, as I discovered what happens when a Torsen diff sends all the power to the outside rear wheel when cornering in snow! :ph34r:

post-277-126147418038_thumb.jpg

I did spot some wildlife though - can anyone ID the bird? It had a ~4ft wingspan!

post-277-126147472671_thumb.jpg post-277-126147475355_thumb.jpg

I agree with the kite theory but it is difficult to tell the difference when they are 'perched'. I like the fosse way and we've used it for the last few years to get up to Eastnor for the show but can't remember the ford. We join just north of the M4 around Leigh Delamare services is it south of there?