300tdi alternative fan to Viscous unit

Tractorboy16

Hi,

Currently fitting a 300tdi to my defender and it currently has an old viscous unit on it,it is all working however i did have a x-eng switch with the isuzu engine, Due to the intercooler now being used, i didn't have it plumbed in for the isuzu, i can fit the old two small kenlowe's i had.

What fans fit with the ccouling still in place so you can still get the draw through the intercooler?

Is there any that fit in well.

If any one has any pics of their fans fitted much appreciated.

Or would it be ok to just stay with the viscous unit. Vehicle is being build for future challenging and winch events so a fan which i can turn off does sound more appealing.

many thanks

James

Viscous is better than any electric fan you could fit in

you can remove it for normal use and fit it when you choose.

Turbocharger does this.

One the other hand lots and lots of people fit electric ones,

Ask JST he had them on his 200TDI, not sure if he kept them for his 2.8TGV.

When i got my truck it had a 12" kenlowe and i was chain harrowing (as my tractor was not working)

it was baking hot and it boiled up.. luckerly no damage but the nect day kenlowe was taken off and fitted a visous

and i have manages to get hold a deffender 200tdi fan cowling and fitted that.. and it is so much better now.

standard is better when it come to cooling!!

cheers

sam

Standard is definetly best

Perhaps for the road, however I have found that having a fan on while going through thick mud/clay etc sucks it all into the radiator and blocks the bugger up. I am fairly new to this but found this to be a problem. Although this was from a electric fan on and off.

Personally I prefer the have the fan manually controlled.