Irregular running

I have a 19J 2.5 turbo diesel transplant in my '83 series 3. Recently it has started to run irregularly, racing away and then nearly stalling. It happens when idling and at all speeds while driving (problem!). This week it has been hard to start, catching, giving a short burst of high revs and then stopping. I can't see any obvious air in the spill return. The stop solenoid seems to make a ticking noise. Any suggestions please.

I have a 19J 2.5 turbo diesel transplant in my '83 series 3. Recently it has started to run irregularly, racing away and then nearly stalling. It happens when idling and at all speeds while driving (problem!). This week it has been hard to start, catching, giving a short burst of high revs and then stopping. I can't see any obvious air in the spill return. The stop solenoid seems to make a ticking noise. Any suggestions please.

Sounds to me like it could be breathing heavily and running on its own oil. Take the breather pipe off to check for oil, if there's a lot of oil present it's time for a bit more investigation.

Mark.

Okay, I have disconnected the breather to turbo and check the fuel lines. I have added an injector cleaner. Still won't start! Catches briefly revs by itself and then dies. Got it to run for a couple of minutes, at idle it does the same, a quick rev and heads to stall. Any attempt to rev it is met with a stall. A couple of small air bubbles in the spill return but no major air seen.

Any suggestions please? Could have done with it in the snow this week.

The stop solenoid seems to make a ticking noise. Any suggestions please.

Try connecting the stop solenoid to 12V using a new, seperate wire from the cigarrette lighter to eliminate a wiring fault. The solenoid shouldn't tick apart from when you turn it on and off. It could also be the solenoid failing, but this is hard to test for.

Oil in pipe from breather cap to turbo - am I in trouble?

If your breather cap is connected straight to your turbo you are, as it should go to a connection next to the air filter housing! However lots of oil (like running outof the pipe) is a bad sign, even for a 19J.

This means its blowing the oil up the crank breather, so suspect piston rings, valve stem seals, etc.

Sounds like fuel starvation to me - had this when I swapped my 19j for tdi, would start and idle but die as soon as I gave it some gas. Turned out to be the lift pump in my case, though may be linked to stop solenoid going by your other symptons.

HTH.

Dave.