Curiosity- advice would be great!

SolihullBeast

I have just fitted a 2 inch terra-firma lift to my 93 discovery 200tdi, however this kit is solely springs and shocks, so as I anticipated it has thrown the self centering off due to the effect on the camber, I am planning to correct this with qt castor corrected radius arms- does anyone know where to find these cheapest? additionally, I am aware that I am likely to experience vibration from the prop-shaft as a result of the correction, I know the usual method of correcting this is a wide angle propshaft, or a double cardan propshaft, however I am a student and both of these options are rather dear! I was curious as to whether a second hand discovery td5 front propshaft would cure the vibration as I notice it has a double cardan? just a thought! Hope somebody can help! With such a wealth of knowledge on these forums I thought this would be the best port of call for advice

Cheers

Sam

Personally I would be checking the state of suspension bushes before shelling out on corrected radius arms, these are only normally required on 3"+ lifts. On a 2" lift you will of course lose some centering ability, but shouldn't make it undrivable by any stretch of the imagination.

If your bushes are worn it is more likely to handle badly after lifting it... time to go looking at condition before spending more money on unnecessary bits ;)

First thing is as bowie has already written check your bushes etc, I have a 2" lift with larger tyres and wider/bigger offset wheels and still havent needed a castor correction.

If the bushes don't help, then correct the problem with castor corrected swivel housings, do not cause more problems with incorrect and costly remedies.

First, Rover build tolerance is somewhere between approximate and entirely wrong, so the first thing is to measure your actual caster angle to see how far out it really is. It can start out by quite a bit in either direction and a lift is as likely to correct it as it is to make it horribly worse.

Then if you do not currently have vibration and do not want to open an entire can of worms (and you don't) but your caster is out by more than 2 degrees, get the swivels indexed. This is a great time to justify a fresh new set of nice teflon swivels. Then you get the advantages of correction without all the hassles of pinion angle changes.

Then if you really want arms you can get non-corrected, lightened, but chassis-end cranked arms.

HFH had a thread about this just recently thats a good read.

The D2 Prop will fit your disco, however they are largely devoid of any grease nipples, and i think arent particularly servicable when they inevitably fail.

As others have said in here, fixing the problem with clocked swivels is a better idea than the arms, however i think they are pretty difficult to find. Paddocks used to sell them, but dont any more.