Hello, I'm new here and have a question

Over the past few days my 110 Td5 has started making an odd whining sound. It only have for a second or two, mainly when cold, and the traction control light comes on at the same time.

Any of you have an idea as to what it could be? (Apart from expensive).

Over the past few days my 110 Td5 has started making an odd whining sound. It only have for a second or two, mainly when cold, and the traction control light comes on at the same time.

Wheel(s) spinning?

That sounds very much like the Traction Control working, (the ABS/ETC operating, braking and releasing the slipping wheel), in which case its a feature you've paid for not a fault!

I get what you are saying guys, but this happens where traction loss is not an issue. It just does not sound "right".

After a bit of thought, could it be the ETC working when it needn't, caused by a wheel sensor failing (making the ECU think the non-failing wheel(s) was / were spinning? The whining would thus be the ABS/ETC pump, but I'd never have described it as a whine, more a buzz or rumble ...

I had exactaly the same thing, when the weather was cold just before Christmas TC kept kicking in even when you wouldn't expect it to, I even posted a question on here about it. Thought it was the TC going faulty as no reason for it to kick in and light did not always come on!! MOT was due so prior to taking it down I did some fetteling checked the tyre pressure front NS suprisingly low, (16psi) although it did not look low!! pumped up hey presto problem gone away!!

The lower pressure tyre must have been giving the impression of slip hence TC doing its job, this happened again yesterday checked pressure again and yes it has gone low again, must have a slow puncture.

anyway worth checking if the pressures are ballanced.

Just on another point, great that you have found this site, it has been really helpfull to me, but when you post a question it would probaly help people help you if you put the subject in the title i for one would have responded quicker if I had seen "Traction Control making strange noise" or similar. and will help others find the post in the future.

Cheers Jason.