overheating problem

bushyboo

my 1994 300tdi went wierd on me last night

she was running fine all day, a trip up to dumfermline and all was well but then comming back from edinburgh it started overheating the temp gage was off the scale but no heat was comming through the vents ? so not wanting to cook it it stopped a few times and let her cool down . but about a quater of a mile to the house i thought i would risk it but the temp gauge went back to normal (half way) but still no heat from the vents

any ideas what might be causing this, could it be just aan air lock ?

has this happened to anyone else

bleed/refill the cooling system to get your heater working, if it happens again I would go with head gasket unless you have an obvious leak somewhere.

happened to me many times, then I changed the head gasket and its reduced in frequency as its now down to my poor mechanical approach and abusing the engine when the gasket was FUBAR'd

my 1994 300tdi went wierd on me last night

she was running fine all day, a trip up to dumfermline and all was well but then comming back from edinburgh it started overheating the temp gage was off the scale but no heat was comming through the vents ? so not wanting to cook it it stopped a few times and let her cool down . but about a quater of a mile to the house i thought i would risk it but the temp gauge went back to normal (half way) but still no heat from the vents

any ideas what might be causing this, could it be just aan air lock ?

has this happened to anyone else

Head gasket needs changing,but obviously check all coolant pipes anyway. But would definitely take the head off and check you have not warped the thing. Also check the "P" gasket to see if thats leaking. Head gasket not a big job just done one this morning on a 300tdi.

Have a look in the technical archive for the post by Les, excellent if you have never done a head gasket before.

Regards

Keith