Engine Oil

bandy

Discovery 1 3.5 v8i with 130k on the clock. What grade oil would be best to use ?

I would have normally used a good quality semi-synthetic 10w/40 however i have had suggestions that i should be looking at 15/w/40 or even a 20w/50 :blink:

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

There's no reasion not to use 10w40 semi-synth or mineral in the UK but if you find you are 'using' oil then try a grade higher.

At the moment i'm using 5w40 oil but use about 500ml over the 6000 miles so will be going back to 10w40 at the next oil change and won't use any :)

post-5809-126363427058_thumb.jpg

...so will be going back to 10w40 at the next oil change and won't use any :)

Eh? Buy a bottle of 10w40 but not open it? :blink: I hope you would use some, by putting it in the engine somewhere :D

On my 300TDI I found fully synthetic oils too thin, and they'd slowly drip from the sump plug. 10w40 semi is fine though.

Eh? Buy a bottle of 10w40 but not open it? :blink: I hope you would use some, by putting it in the engine somewhere :D

On my 300TDI I found fully synthetic oils too thin, and they'd slowly drip from the sump plug. 10w40 semi is fine though.

Thats good,

I went from mineral and didn't use any to fully synth 5w40 and use some, also it leaked from the rocker and sump gaskets I had to tighten the bolts to stop that it still drips the sump plug need a new copper washer may be ;)... So in the spring I will be using semi 10w40 so hopefully no topping up required or very little :( and I going to save a few bob :D

How can a 10W-40 fully synthetic be 'thinner' than a 10W-40 semi (5% synthetic) synthtic.

The viscosity is the same.

The other point to note is a 5w40 and 10w40 are the same viscosity when hot, so a 5w40 shouldn't really leak any more readily than a 10w40.

If its leaking from the sump plug then theres something wrong with the gasket/seal.

One possibility is the synthetic oil cleans the guts of the engine out a little more aggressively, which starts the leaks?