Diesel bleeding problem TD5

petrolhead63

TD5 Discovery, water in fuel light came on so I thought I better drain the bottom of filter. I went under truck and found the plastic sedimenter switch part was damaged by previous owners garage (I have not changed filter before...was done just before I owned it) having been overtightened the plastic thread was sheared off and heavan knows how it was not leaking badly! just luck and mud holding it on...not even a sealing washer in it!

I took it off and placed a simple plastic one without the water switch from a new filter on it..but of course in the process the filter drained out.

The book says it is a self bleeding system...simply start the engine.

It started immediately but died about 15 seconds later and know wont start. :angry:

The electric lift pump at back of vehicle I can hear running...I guess because the filter/system is airlocked?

Any advice, is this a common issue with this self bleeding system...its on the drive dead right now and I could use starting it.

I feel a muppet at the moment :)

Switch the ignition on and pump the throttle pedal to the floor more than 5 times in less than 10 secs.This puts the ecu into fuel circuit bleed mode,the pump will cycle on for a while then switch off for a few secs.It keeps doing this for a few mins then will eventually stop.During the bleed process the check engine lamp will flash to show its in bleed mode.

Do this twice and then the engine should start straight up.Go for a short drive or leave it running for 5 mins just to make sure.Sorry i cant remember the exact pump run times - I usually just let it do its thing while I get on with another part of the service.

OK, its gone through the bleed process fine, light flashing and heard pump on engine end running and cycling on/off. Not started though, churned it over for a few times till battery flagging a bit. Have decided to bleed again in case.

Could I have another issue?

Get the battery voltage up before trying again,it will need a decent cranking speed after being vented.So expect a longer than normal cranking period.If the battery is dragged down it just heats up the starter - which is not known for its toughness in the first place......

thanks, that was my thought. The battery has aged..the recent cold probably knackered it so have put on slow charge overnight now to try in the morning. I will get a new one asap now even if it starts..the early warning of pending doom on the battery front has been noted :(

Do the bleed process as described, and then press the pedal to the floor when cranking, at least that is how the book says to do it. I think the cycle is 30 sec on 5 sec off 30 sec on 5 sec off for about 5 minutes then immediately full throttle and crank till it starts - but you do need a good battery....

Do the bleed process as described, and then press the pedal to the floor when cranking, at least that is how the book says to do it. I think the cycle is 30 sec on 5 sec off 30 sec on 5 sec off for about 5 minutes then immediately full throttle and crank till it starts - but you do need a good battery....

Thanks people...its bled and running again. I now need a battery and all the factors are listing 70Amp jobs or thereabouts. I reckon it needs something like the classic tractor/truck 664 which is I recall 110A/H as used on boats too!