Tyre tread and depth?

Rich_P

I know the law states that it's 1.6mm before a tyre must be replaced, while I think the tyre ceases being effective below 3mm. When it comes to Mud Terrain tread patterns, at what stage is the tyre likely to no longer be effective? For instance, is it 5mm? Or is it 8mm? Or do they rapidly become less effective once they've lost their first couple of mm worth of tread? :ph34r:

To clarify my situation a little. I have a set of XZL tyres I want to fit. At the moment I've got four worn tyres and two almost brand new. If it's a case that the remaining tread on two of the worn ones is still enough for them to be effective, I'll just fit them to the front and put the new ones on the rear. What I don't want is to waste ££ on getting the tyres changed over on the rims if the worn ones will be useless off the tarmac. :unsure:

Oh well. :unsure:

If it's any use I've just measured the tyres. The worn examples I'm thinking of putting on the front have 7mm worth of tread remaining in the centre. The tyres I'm wanting to put on the back have about 12mm, possibly a little more. They're all XZL.

It gets progressively less capable as the tread wears, the other thing is that as many (most?) MTs have tapered tread blocks the gap between the lugs at the contact patch actually decreases as the tyre wears, making it "less aggressive".

Personally I reckon by the time most MTs are half-worn it is time to sell them to some mug and get some new ones. That equates to about 8mm on a set of BFGs. Anything much less than that and you are sliding around all over the place and as for the legal limit, forget it!

String: |--------------------------------------------------------------------| that long ;)