Need a Defender

cwc

Hi all i'm new here seems a nice place to be

Ok i have had a number of Land rovers in the past but not for a few years

2 200 tdi Defenders

A 200 disco and and a V8 disco

I now need a defender part for work and part for play

The thing is a 90 seems to cost more than the J plate 200 i sold 3 years ago

Ineed to know what the best to go for is a late 300 or a early TD5 and how much should i pay for a good ish one, i quite fancy a 110 this time Any advise greatly receaved

Cheers CWC

depends how much money you have to spend after you've bought it......

The price guides in the mags are pretty OK for the mid range stuff the older 300tdi's, ones in better nick, go way over the top sometimes. 300Tdi anything from 3000 to 13000 for M,N,O,P,R and its a lottery. I'd be expecting a R 300Tdi to be £8000 or more in good nick and they are difficult to find.

If you're not wanting it for anything special i'd get a newer TD5 for less cash. I'm not an expert. :D

I had a truly fantastic 200 tdi 90 and sold it to upgrade to a TD5 110 station wagon, I have now sold that and have a TD5 110 Double Cab. As said the 200 Tdi was a fantatstic vehicle with bombproof reliability and would go anywhere, the 200 tdi unit was a great engine and never leaked a drop of oil in it's 132,000 miles, the gearbox & transfer box were equaly reliable it was an alround great vehicle. The ninety chassis is great to drive and very nimble compared to the 110, having said all that after driving the TD5 110's I could never relish the thought of going back to a Tdi 90. The extra power of the TD5 is an absolute necessity and I find ample in standard form and although the ninety chassis was definately more fun it simply isn't practical when compared to the benefitts of the 5 door 110. I am definately going to do the discovery ratio upgrade on the transfer box though as the gearing that felt perfect for the Tdi feels too low for the TD5 engine.

So in answer to your Q TD5 110 5 door

Having had several 300TDi Defenders, a couple of Td5 and then a TDCi I've gone back to a 300.

Admittidly I don't use it every day but a 300 just feels more like a 'real' landrover with a non-electronic diesel engine that is most happy plodding about at 60mph. The newer ones are nice, faster and a bit more refined. But there is something satisfying about a 300 which you can service yourself (I'm not that mechanicaly minded) and dunk in mud/water without having to worry about the ECU.

To me, it has more of the old fasioned "Land Rover" character.

As with most things, it comes down to personal preference, your budget and what you want the vehicle for.

Hi,

Since my Td5 is sitting on the driveway a non runner again!... I miss my old 200tdi... sniff.... Drove my pal's Tdi300 today, made me miss my 200 even more....

It's a hard call to have to make..

good luck.. and lets us know what you decide too...