Any Tips for Removing 300TDI Oil Filter

SPendrey

Hello,

Did an oil change last night in my new garage (clean floor etc. etc.). Placed a protective sheet down, a 3' square tray, and had a washing up bowl to collect the old oil, and still managed to get engine oil on the new floor :angry: Now, I know it won't stay clean for ever, but does anyone have any tips on removing the oil filter from a 300TDI without it depositing oil all over the diff/front axle, your arm, and anywhere else it tends to run to. I think the oil on the floor now is actually running behind the front diff guard and onto the floor (very small amount, but visible).

Thanks,

Scott

Get a couple of plastic bags, one inside the other. Crack the filter loose so it will spin under hand pressure, put the bags over the filter and unscrew the filter. Any oil will collect in the bags and not spill. Bear in mind the oil might be hot so could melt through lesser thin bags.

The above methods are all good assuming that the oil fitler is easily removed. The last one I did wasn't, so I had to adapt a little bit...

Put a few rags over the axle/diff area to catch any drips, then knock a screwdriver through the filter at an angle. Balance or hold a drip can under the lower end of the screwdriver for a few minutes to catch any spillage, then twist the filter loose. Once it moves, the above bag method is the best I've found...

get a 2 litre plastic milk container cut the bottom of it so that it is 1 or 2 cm higher than the oil filter leave the cap on the container loosen the oil filter with the oil filter tool the put the container over the oil filter you should be able to turn the container whilst holding the oil filter in the container and oil filter will drop in the container and you can hold the container to catch the oil after the filter has droped in to it just allow enough room for the height of the container to clear the diff when cutting the top off .

works for me

assuming your garage floor is concrete if you sprinkle (carefully to avoid inhaling dust) cement ont he oil it should absorb the majority of the stain and return your floor to a similar colour as the rest of the floor.

Cement dust is very bad stuff for your lungs though (and skin/eyes etc) so avoid big dust clouds or burns and cancer could ensue.