TD5 Handbrake right shoe retaining pin

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this. It should be soooo simple to push on the shoe retaining spring and cup, but I can't seem to figure out a way to stabilise and stop the retaining pin falling out the back of the handbrake backplate on the right hand side. I'm working on my back underneath (using stands and trolley under rear axle). I've tried shoving bits of wood behind but can't seem to get one of the right profile to make sure the pin stands proud enough to put the spring on. There's obviously a knack (or maybe some kind of bent tool...) for this. Any advice, gents?

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this. It should be soooo simple to push on the shoe retaining spring and cup, but I can't seem to figure out a way to stabilise and stop the retaining pin falling out the back of the handbrake backplate on the right hand side. I'm working on my back underneath (using stands and trolley under rear axle). I've tried shoving bits of wood behind but can't seem to get one of the right profile to make sure the pin stands proud enough to put the spring on. There's obviously a knack (or maybe some kind of bent tool...) for this. Any advice, gents?

There is a tool for the cup part. The retaining pin is normally just held with your free hand. It can be done without the special tool, I usually use normal pliers but this can be a bit fiddly and the cup can sometimes fly off in all directions. I suppose being underneath it on your back makes life more difficult but it should be possible.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, I'd normally use pliers too, but the problem I've got is that whereas I can reach the back of the pin for the left hand shoe with my fingers (to make sure the pin stays put), I can't get behind the backplate for the right-hand shoe - hence my efforts to shove bits of wood down the back of it to try and stop the pin retreating or falling out. :(

Cheers Western. I'll give it a go. I suppose I'll have to tie up/clamp the shoe while this is going on... I find this an awkward little job at the end of a brake overhaul... Strikes me it's either a slightly silly design feature or I'm lacking the right method. I wonder if there are any other ways of doing this. :blink: