Toyota Hilux Rear LSD diff no more

sean f

A friends rear diff has stopped acting like an LSD and now works only as a normal open diff.

It is a 2.4 diesel twin cab with a beam rear axle but independent front suspention and a 59 plate I think.

When you jacked up one rear you used to be able to feel the resistance if you tried to spin just one rear wheel now it spins freely (checked both sides). Driving it on mud you can clearly see the diff is not locking up at all before you could see it working. Not to sure if this was a sudden failure or gradual as it does most of its miles on the road so the LSD would come into play much, just noticed it when trying to drive a muddy farm access.

I don't really know much about LSD diffs, I assume there is some sort of friction plates and spring mechanism to lock up the diff.

If any one has any ideas about how to work out whats wrong and hopefully fix it they would be greatfully recieved

Toyota LSD are very poor. Tighten the clutches up, as often as you like, but they never work for very long.

IMHO the Toyota LSD's are not worth considering.

AFAIK all clutch type LSD's (including Toyota) should be using oil that is specific for use with an LSD.