Engine noise

nodwas

Hi everyone!

I have a 2004 v8 disco, and there is a strange tapping noise mainly noticable when starting from cold and gets less noticeable when hot but still there.

The garage checked the oil pressures for the hyrdraulic tappets and they were all fine.

So does anyone have any idea what it could be? should i just run with it and forget about it?

Could it be cylinder damage? or rod bearing damage?

Cheers in advance!

Welcome :)

Mine does that too, since it was about a year old, nothing on first start then a tapping which starts after abou 30 sec and is quite loud on cold/fast idle, quietens down as it warms up. Been like that for six years now, gave up worrying about five ago.

Welcome :)

Mine does that too, since it was about a year old, nothing on first start then a tapping which starts after abou 30 sec and is quite loud on cold/fast idle, quietens down as it warms up. Been like that for six years now, gave up worrying about five ago.

hmmm this is slightly different its when your accelerating up to about 60 kph and can somtimes be noticeable when hot! any ideas?

Idle i think its quiet maybe it does it in drive im not to sure!

Hi there,

I have had similar problems. Also I work for a main dealer.

Sorry to say that your cam shaft sounds like its on its way out.

You will start to develop the tapping noise and it will get worse as more of the case hardening on the lobes wear away.

The reason why you hear it more when hot is because the oil is thinner when hot and its not able to provide the necessary protection any more.

I imagine do you a lot of short runs in this? I say this as the V8 engine (orginally designed by Buick) was intended to be put into motorway cruiser, long distance sitting at a steady speed, although times have changed and the engine has evoled alot since the early days the principle remains the same. On short stopping runs the oil cannot get up to the cam gallery properly thus over a period of time the cams and followers start to wear producing a knock. My advice - do a couple of good long haul runs a couple of times a month. This will stop it getting worse but on the flip side you will hear it more as the engine will be hotter. The only long term fix is to replace the cam shaft and followers. Also try using a thicker oil.

You havent said what your current mileage is - however I would esimate that you are somewhere between 60 and 80k, and on short runs this is when the camshaft will fail.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you need any more help!

Dave

Doh!

although its only when accelerateing from about 5 mins of starting it! then it seems to stop but it is definitly getting worse, im quite concerened about it!

Its quite a mystery to me! i have only heard that before with the tappets, the mileage is on 100,000 km.

I also do a bit of roading in the dunes and desert and don't particularly want the engine conking out in the desert!!!!

• 2 months later...

Any development on your tapping noise?

Interested in this as mine has been making a tapping noise for about a year now. It's fine when running around at 30 MPH but when I go on motorways etc to 50MPH then it ticks quite loudly.

Been wondering if it's tappets or not. I use 20W50 mineral oil but have contemplated using racing oil by Lucas to try protect it more.

It's doing my nut in : D

hi there, ive put some of the lucas racing oil in mine and the difference is amazing, however, no matter how good the oil it'll never replace metal. im far from an expert, ive tinkered and read lots about the v8 to help me maintain mine.

is there any point in checking the clearance / pressure on the cam followers, might be worthwhile checking the followers for wear, a nice concentric circle is whats wanted. if they havent been rotating properly they'll wear the cam lobes.

jake