any ideas d2 rear air suspension

woody8

hi to you all ! has anyone come across this fault before ?

discovery 2 td5 2000 with ace both rear air bags deflate. some times can be parked up for maybe 3 days and go for drive come back and next morning they've gone down ! checked both bags for leaks but ok. could this be the valve block ??

any ideas very welcome !

Usually only one airbag develops a leak resulting in one side going down .Random deflation on one side is nearly always caused by an airbag leak - usually where the bag folds over , and sometimes very hard to detect .

The cold weather seems to have caused a big increase in the problems being experienced with the SLS - I have actually converted my own 2001 Td5 to coils . The rear began to go completely down at random - sometimes staying up for only a mile .

The height sensors are very exposed to the elements and maybe could benefit from a good clean /lubrication .

As far as I know there are 2 valves in the compressor for the airbags - one for each . The chances of both valves leaking at the same time would I imagine be slim .More likely to be false readings from the height sensors causing both sides to go down together .

I'm sure there will be others along with more experience of this problem .

one of our bags went down recently so i swapped it, within 1 week the other started to go down as well!

Not bad failure consistency for a motor with 130k miles on the clock.

I could very well be leaky bags............

But i would also give everything a clean on the height sensors and check the pump by getting someone to put it on offroad height while you sit under it listening for horrible whines and stuff.

have checked the bags and seem to think its going to be the valve block ?

how?

I soaked my bags in a strong washing up liquid solution and had the air bags pumping up and down like mad trying to find any leaks - even jacked the whole back end up from the chassis so the whole lot was hanging at full stretch.... not a ingle visible leak.

But the very next day after parking up i could hear a whistle. When the bag was 'just so' it would open up a tiny pin hole from a small perish that otherwise wouldnt/didnt leak and let the bag down.

Changed the bags and bingo, problem fixed.

how?

I soaked my bags in a strong washing up liquid solution and had the air bags pumping up and down like mad trying to find any leaks - even jacked the whole back end up from the chassis so the whole lot was hanging at full stretch.... not a ingle visible leak.

But the very next day after parking up i could hear a whistle. When the bag was 'just so' it would open up a tiny pin hole from a small perish that otherwise wouldnt/didnt leak and let the bag down.

Totaly agree mne was like that

how?

did the same with regards soapy water in a plant sprayer ?? just seems strange that it holds up for 3 days when not used ?

thanks for info any way guys ! have to put it on axle stands and work it a bit and see if i can get a result !!

The offside of my 2001 Td5 used to go down at random after I bought it . It had a new nearside bag fitted before I got it so I then fitted a new offside one and no problems after that .

My point I suppose is that one airbag can go down while the other remains inflated - and the chances of both going down equally at the same time would IMHO be slim . As others have said even when tested a leaky airbag can be very difficult to pinpoint .