General Grabber AT2

v8bobber

Hi All,

I'm trying to find the best price that I can on a set of 255/55 or 60 x 18s. I have searched locally and the prices seem to be hovering around the 110-120quid mark plus the VAT. Does this sound about right. I expected to find some cheaper prices on the net but as yet, by the time you take into account the postage and whatnot I may aswell get them nearby and give the trade to the local guy. I always feel guilty taking tyres that I've bought elsewhere to my local tyre dealer to fit!!

The other question of course, is a suitable alternative. They are going on a P38 which only does about 4000 miles a year, knocks about back and for to work and will tow my trialler off road once a month. The vehicle has 16" rims on it at the moment, which I hate, and I think they RR looks much better on the 18" Mondials that I am in the process of refurbing, I think that they really suit the car.

I have looked at alternatives but its only the AT2 that seems to have the right mix of off and on road ability for me, unless of course anyone can suggest an alternative 18" tyre that at least has a modicum of off road ability.

Regards,

Dave

That price sounds about right. I paid £110 per corner inc VAT and fitting about 3 years ago, so that seems quite reasonable...

The other option with the wheels is to go up to 19". There seems to be a good few tyres available in AT tread at that size... Otherwise, you are pretty much limited to the Grabber AT2 in 18". Not that that's an issue. Mine are 35000 miles old and probably just over half worn. With the traction control in the Disco, they have served well for what I do with it which is mainly grassy fields, Scout campsites in the woods, etc...

On road, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set when the time comes...