Adjustment on Tfer box??

CosZuki

Engaging low box has ceased to happen on Lumpy, Is there anything i can adjust in the linkage?

it used to spit it out of gear if you didnt give it some grunt into gear but would always engage, now after sitting up for a few weeks waiting on Wazzocks to supply a starter motor it wont select low box? lever feels like its in with that usual clunky thing it does but there is no drive.

Have tried slecting forma stand still, while rolling with difflock in and out but no, it gave drive for a split second last night then popped out again<_<

could something have frozen while it was sat up? nothing looks out of place?

There is loads of adjustment at several points in the fiddly and unnecessarily complicated linkage system, yes.

You have a fore/aft thingy* on the selector which has a splined end, and an arm which bolts on, so you can rotate that on the splines, then you have the same affair at the bottom end. I think it's a right pain the yaris to get to on a Disco. First stop would be to check the lever at the top hasn't got full of snow/ice/mud and jammed up, then check that if you can get to the bottom actuator it goes into gear if you move it.

* = Technical Land Rover term

There is loads of adjustment at several points in the fiddly and unnecessarily complicated linkage system, yes.

You have a fore/aft thingy* on the selector which has a splined end, and an arm which bolts on, so you can rotate that on the splines, then you have the same affair at the bottom end. I think it's a right pain the yaris to get to on a Disco. First stop would be to check the lever at the top hasn't got full of snow/ice/mud and jammed up, then check that if you can get to the bottom actuator it goes into gear if you move it.

* = Technical Land Rover term

the fore/aft thingy sounds like what i need to adjust. just need to shorten its throw a tad.

Sounds typical that it be a yaris pain. will try investigation the morra, yay more lying in the snow and wetness!! woop woop

the fore/aft thingy sounds like what i need to adjust. just need to shorten its throw a tad.

Sounds typical that it be a yaris pain. will try investigation the morra, yay more lying in the snow and wetness!! woop woop

:( It sounds like this transfer box problem is catching. Mine jumped out of low box once on the last run out. Now it wont go in and stay in, everything else, ie diflock and high gear work ok. No horible noises and the oil is fresh. I am quite good at taking the centre consul out as a result of my gear selector fun last week. Let me know how you get on I am not out in the truck for a while so I can run as it is for now. :huh:

just put mine back together yesterday, make sure the nylon washers are in place & not wrecked & grease it well.

:blink: Thanks for the picture,Fridge Freezer, thats a bit diferent to the Series 2a/3 aint it . I asume the threaded bit were 25/26 conect is adjustable if the picky is corect. As the lever hasnt gone flopy on mine it is hopefully adjustment that is needed.As i said earlier diff lock is ok and it will go in and out of high box ok.I will get underneath tonite whilst at work and see what sort of a job whe are looking at. I did a run on very snowy ice covered roads at the weekend in high box and managed better than an ex army 90 and a 110. It would have been less painfull on the ears as I had to rev the nuts off it in some places to get a run at some of the hills :blush:

IME it is often the pivot pins that have worn....the two pins labelled 45 in that diagram.

:huh: It looks like I will have to get the centre consul out again. :( All the bushes are fine and the adjuster is as far as will go down the rod. I can get the box in low but I realy have to push the lever foward. Next move will be to have a look at the gear change its self. I noticed there is a splined shaft coming out of the side of the gear change. I am going to disconect that and see if I can select low by operating the rod by hand. This way I think I can prove whether the fault is in the box or something external. These Brumy beasts are certainly good at trying our patience aint they. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

:huh: It looks like I will have to get the centre consul out again. :( All the bushes are fine and the adjuster is as far as will go down the rod. I can get the box in low but I realy have to push the lever foward. Next move will be to have a look at the gear change its self. I noticed there is a splined shaft coming out of the side of the gear change. I am going to disconect that and see if I can select low by operating the rod by hand. This way I think I can prove whether the fault is in the box or something external. These Brumy beasts are certainly good at trying our patience aint they. :rolleyes:

:D I have solved the transfer box isues thanks to a forum user from another site, sorry but any help in a storm ect.

Were the change rod goes into the top of the transfer box there is a shaft that has a finger on it. This pushes the high/low selector back and fowards. The finger is atached to the shaft by an allen grub screw. If this screw comes loose you get too much movement hence not quite going into low box.If the srew falls out you get the last thing you selected, not good if you have to drive home in low box for 150 miles, I was lucky. This is a bit of fidle on the Disco due to having slighly resticted access to the top of the box. Consul out again :glare: On checking the linkage to the lever I found an M8 bolt and not the proper pin, no bushes. Also the edge of the access hole was bent and bashed on the nearside. What has some one been playing at.

Now got M8 bolt,nyloc nut and bushes. No pin available when I got the thing to bits.

To make the job easier the access panel is now in with self tappers.

All done now ready for a trip to Andora later this year hopefully. :i-m_so_happy: