Split Charge - more CCA??

StuRox

Well, I recently changed my battery, and never researched enough, and got one with enough CCA's to turn her over, but only just – (about 600 I think).....so instead of spending more on another battery…..as money is a bit tight at present :(, I have a spare in the garage that I could fit as a 2nd, and then split charge etc - will this then give more CCA's these cold mornings to help turn over the veg oil?

I have read lots of threads about this, and some people just run the battery in parallel, but after a while won’t this discharge both? But my main question is that I wasn’t sure with the split charge if they would both work when cranking over, or just the main battery, and then once running the 2nd Battery comes to life?

Also thought I could then run all aux spots etc from 2nd battery too :)

Any help appreciated as looking to get one of these Split Charge jobbies - Split Charge Relay

Cheers

sounds like a similar system to the one i had on my old disco.

basically twin batteries, linked with the x-eng split charge kit. i then had a 3 position switch on the dash, on, off and momentary on. this allowed me to have both batteries charging, isolate them, or use a 12v supply to energise the relay to allow the spare to jump the master - if that makes sense.

the momentary on part was wired to a fused supply which then did the same job as the alternator trigger wire when the engine was running, and energised the relay to connect the two batteries for self jump start capability

Your assumption about the split charge system is right. The relay only closes once it senses a load from the alternator, therefore will not solve your problem.

What CCA is the spare battery you've got? If it's even slightly more than the new one, it may well be enough for now, then you can replace the main battery with a larger capacity one when funds are more freely available...