Electrical Problem

Got a small problem with my fuel gauge. The landrover is a 300 tdi 110 and Ive got the later speedo, gauges and warning lights from a td5 as per the wibbly wobbly speedo thread.

My problem is this... MyWhen I put the heater or headlights or both on, the fuel gauge goes up, telling me I've got more fuel than I really have. It moves up just under an 1/8th for each (lights and heater) and almost a quarter if both are on. I cant recall it doing this with the old gauge.

I think this must be an earth issue but could someone who knows more about this correct me...

Is the guage reading higher because the lights/heater are earthing through it to the tank and thus the lights and heater want a good quality, straight to battery earth of their own?

Or

Does the gauge require its own unique, straight to battery earth that is independant of other circuits to read true?

Should I renew the earth to the fuel tank sender for any reason?

if there is a bad earth somewhere, the load from the heater/lights can raise the potential of the ground above 0v, which will cause erratic readings.

Find out where the heater/lights ground, and try attaching a thick lead between that point and the battery negative to see if the guage fluctuation goes away.

Mine does this too :) Heater only though. I have to turn it off to see how much i really have, but then it does run out when showing 1/4 tank left anyway... :ph34r:

I use the trip counter, much better!

Seriously though, i second the idea of checking earths are good.

FIXED !! :D

I tried as was said above a direct cable to earth and all was well.

The heater switch has a little tab where the earth connects to, I removed the wire, cleaned it up and ran a new earth direct to the battery. I did the same with the headlights, a seperate earth wire for each, straight to the battery.

All working, no variation AND much brighter headlights! :i-m_so_happy: