poor-power advice

lansalot

Hi folks

Friend has a 130 fitted with a land cruiser 4.2L straight 6 diesel. I noticed that the power is really down and not at all how a diesel should run. It doesn't pull smoothly until revved at all, at low revs (away from the lights) it coughs and splutters. And as for going uphill, it's changing down all the way.

The engine is very low-tech - there's a butterfly on the air intake that the throttle is connected to and there's no electronics for the engine whatsoever.

It feels like when you floor a petrol-carb'd vehicle, and the engine floods a bit, but you lift off the pedal a touch, it picks up a bit more, gets a lungful and takes off.

First thought was perhaps a blocked air filter - but we had a look and the air filter housing was empty ! She's not had it long, so we've no way of knowing whether the previous owner had put a filter in it before or not..

I know the powerplant isn't exactly standard, but was hoping some of the gurus round here might have some ideas ? Next stop may be the fuel filter I think !

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

A

edit: oh, and her fuel consumption is all over the place as well. That may be due to letting her son drive it of an occasion however...

hi

as above change the fuel filter and give it a run, also if the throttle controls a butterfly there will be a vacuum pipe from the intake to the injector pump check that this is intact and clear.

hth

matt

if vacuum operated there could be a hole in the governor diaphragm?

That raises an interesting point, Matt. South of the air filter, there's a little pipe (so between the air filter - which is empty - and the butterfly) that looks like it's for vacuum. And it's going nowhere... I wondered where that was for the other day, but couldn't find a willing recipient.

Hmm... More investigation needed I think !

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll hit google and see if I can find out any more on this engine, see if we can find out what it's really supposed to be like.

Cheers

A

Well, as I (very vaguely) understand it, injection pumps also need a lift pump to get fuel from the tank to the injection pump. Most LR lumps have a mechanical one. A mate has just had to fit an electric one I (actually a Facet carb-type pump) to his TGV as the mechanical one couldn't keep up and it was noticeably down on power.

There is an internal transfer pump in the injection pump, however this isn't designed to pull a vacuum. Normally there should be a pressure head (however small) from the fuel tank.

A lift pump is required on a landy as the fuel tank is below the injection pump, and you still want your engine to be running well at extreme angles. Normally mechanical and operated from the cam shaft. They sit in the fuel pickup line before the fuel filter. Various systems are employed from there on in depending on what type of injection pump is fitted. Most likely though, you will simply go from filter to injection pump, and then the return from the tank from there.

If the engine hasn't got one, it may be suffering. Electric petrol carb types should work fine - although I'm surprised that a facet carb pump will outperform a mechanical one. My experience is the polar opposite - although that was pumping vegetable oil.