200 tdi disco starting problems

T1G UP

bought a cheap disco 200 tdi AUTO to use as a dog van/tip wagen whilst we continue to clear out.

have a starting problem.

from cold she fires straight away but only on 2-3 cylinders and with a little throttle will run. big clouds of white/grey smoke,unburnt diesel?, and will drive fine with the smoke clearing. once warm ticks over, if a little lumpy,temps are fine, restarts from warm fine.

I'm gonna change the fuel filter in a bit. do i have a blocked/faulty injector/s ??? how much are they and how easy to change?

anything else i should look out for,valve clearences need doing but sound apart from that.

ok had a bottle of cleaner, fresh go go juice and a service....oil/filter/air filter.

had the injectors out and tested @ tom days in Keynsham. 180 bar intead of 200 but spray patterns ok and not leaks.

all back together.

better....but not right? any online guides on injection timing?

tom day guys sugested lift pump?

on boost she drives fine. when ticking over if you boot it it almost misfires before getting on to boost with a cloud of white smoke then it's ok again.

you assistance is required and apreciated!

You can either buy a new crank, or repair it. You'll notice that the woodruff keyway is only worn in one direction, so you can use the good side as a reference. Buy a new woodruff key and glue it in place - hard against the good face of the slot with Araldite or smilar. Once the glue is dry, fill the gap with the same stuff and again allow it to set. Dress it down with 80-grit wet/dry, so that the (new) timing belt pully will slide on. Reassemble as normal and the engine will be fine. I've done this to my own engine and it lasted fine for over 2-years until I removed it for unrelated reasons.

Les.

You can either buy a new crank, or repair it. You'll notice that the woodruff keyway is only worn in one direction, so you can use the good side as a reference. Buy a new woodruff key and glue it in place - hard against the good face of the slot with Araldite or smilar. Once the glue is dry, fill the gap with the same stuff and again allow it to set. Dress it down with 80-grit wet/dry, so that the (new) timing belt pully will slide on. Reassemble as normal and the engine will be fine. I've done this to my own engine and it lasted fine for over 2-years until I removed it for unrelated reasons.

Les.

thanks Les, did do a search about it as it ain't worth a new crank! araldite works for me.Shame cause at 180k t's in quite good shape!

GOOD news!biggrin.gif

bought all the parts from lrseries

came to £130 delivered inc cambelt kit, new damper pulley, cam belt crank pulley, woodruff keys etc

there was a bit of the old key stuck in the crank which came out with a drift.

glued the new key in as instructed,thanks Les.

all new parts on and she fire first turn! no smoke, no squeaky rattle (was the damper flopping about)

All in all a good result and well worth trying if your having similar probs to this.

MOT on monday.