speedo weridness

moose

hi all,

On my 300tdi (1996 so its electrical) the speedo seems to only play up on longer journeys and will just stop working.

It only happens when between 50-60 mph (which is a PITA when towing) but after a few mins at 70 plus it jump back up and start working again. If i stay below 70 it wont start up again until the trucks been stood for a bit.

I re-did the clutch a few months back so i know the x-fer box end is properly connected and clean.

So any one come across this type of thing, or any with ideas on what need replacing/testing etc...

thanks

mine does the same, usually on long journeys, but then i just rely on the sat nav to keep an eye on the speed.

it's usually the sender on the gearbox that's at fault. could be worth checking the wires from there upwards, in case one has got caught somewhere.

Hi Old hand

had the same problem today. From long years of experience I suspected the fuse to have a layer (plaque) on it which will interrupt current flow some times.

I withdrew the fuse, scratched it clean with a coin, sprayed some switch cleaner onto it and the problem was solved.

George1

Never got to the bottom on mine, same as on Old hands, after about 2 hrs of driving (usually on motorway) the speedo will stop working for about 5 seconds and then jump back again, Dosent do it all the time only once or twice, every few months.

seems to be always around the 75-80 mark :ph34r:

Ian

George1 thanks i will have a look at the fuse...

I think its most likely to be the sender on the gearbox, I will try replacing it and post back what happens.

It looks like my disco spent a lot of its pass life towing a caravan at 50-60 so where its been sat at on the motorway at constant speed for a few hours at time.

Now its towing something a bit more fun tho :)

i've had this happen on mine twice now, both times when i was using the cruise control, which was kinda worrying as the thing started to accelerate hard, then the cruise control cut out as the speedo dropped below 25mph

As some ones reported that it affects the cruise, it makes me think even more its got to be the sender....

I will look over my misc of tranfer boxes to see if i have another one, if not i will get have to get one.

I will report back but as its not a show stopper its not going to be a priority job ;)

As some ones reported that it affects the cruise, it makes me think even more its got to be the sender....

I will look over my misc of tranfer boxes to see if i have another one, if not i will get have to get one.

I will report back but as its not a show stopper its not going to be a priority job ;)

Ok I'll wait out and see what transpires....

:)