06 on tail door lock

I'm fitting a take off tail door to a 90 hardtop to replace the current old 2 part door that has rotted away, as they do.

It's all ready to fit apart from the fact that the door didn't come with a key and now I come to fit a new barrel I can't figure out how on earth you're supposed to change the barrel ?

According to the 02 manual there is supposed to be a "plunger" to depress in the side of the casing but the 06 one I have hasn't got a hole in it.

Has anyone done this or have any ideas ?

I'd like to use the old barrel so a single key will unlock any of the 3 doors.

Figured it out in the end.

If anyone else has the same problem, the later lock uses a much longer barrel. As a result, the release/plunger hole is now inside the mechanism and can be operated through the slot where the central locking lever comes through at the top of the mechanism.

Having finally released the lock barrel it's clear that the old style barrel isn't going to fit :(

Here's a pic, new style on the right.

post-2025-126779062366_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi,Took me ages to figure the space on top of the lock through which you can stick a pin in depress the tiny hole release catch on the barrel.

Was changing a newer long type barrel, didnt have the old key.

Used a newer key and some fiddling to prise it out whilst depressing the catch with the pin.

Barrel out finally, i realise the shorter old type barrel wont do!

So i used the current ignition key i had, instered into the removed key barrel, filed off the locks to sit flat, and bingo, got me a working key to fit the old barrel.

Will see if i get my money back for the new short barrel i had bought.