Rear Panhard Rod???

Underdog

I'm curious to know what the symptoms are for worn bushes in the rear panhard rod?

At the last MOT ( about 7 months back ) the inspector mentioned that both bushes would need replacing before the next test. OK fine, but the handling has become a little odd recently and I'm wondering if now is the time to replace the mentioned bushes.

Can somebody please explain what handling changes would be noticable, if any, if these bushes had all but given up the ghost???

Cheers in advance.

Ok, The Panhard rod is fitted between the chassis and the axle, it locates the axle and stops it moving sideways in relation to the body, if the bushes are old/worn it will feel as if it's steering from the back and corners will at best be interesting with the steering wheel movement making little sense, replacement isn't a bad job and you should have it done in the interests of safety.

Fair to say that if you have to take evasive action you might well be in trouble before you know it.

By the way there's another one at the front!

You describe my new found handling issues quite well Sheltie, there is a definate but very subtle rear wheel steer feeling. There's no knocking or clunking to report but the feeling of rear drift is quite interesting.

I'll get this sorted asap.

Cheers.

sheltie50 is correct, I have had this once on my old RR I replaced the big bushes at the front and the prob was sorted, an easy job but I had to go and buy a big ring spanner to undo the nut. :)

The indication of a problem is a few milimetre's gap between the plate/washer and the rubber.