Steering Lock Damage

During the snow a snow plough slid into my front wing and pushed the tyre which presumably made the steering wheel turn and finally bent the steering rod. It was parked up.

Now the steering lock seems to have more play in it (I may be imagining this!) and so I was wondering whether a collision of this sort is able to do damage to the steering lock and how the lock actually works and gets damaged.

Is it a pig to change or made quick to fix or are they made never to break.

Thanks

Ed

The "lock" fits into a slot in the steering column, so either the lock or the column could be damaged.

Neither is difficult to replace, just time consuming.

To inspect them you need to remove the entire ignition barrel assembly. That is put in with shear head security bolts, so you'll have to find a way of undoing them. They are not usually tight. People have found a left handed drill bit will remove them, or centre punch and drill the heads off.

It might be that the wheel jamed into the lock screw thus disthreading or destroying it.... It could be possible. An adult might come up soon!!

It's more like a woodruff key that engages into the column. But without one to hand I cannot remember if it is possible for it to be snapped/bent and still operable!

EDIT. found a pic

Thanks for all the useful info.

Could someone be helpful and tell me how much play the steering wheel has with the lock engaged? And whether the whole mechanism moves slightly as you jiggle steering wheel. This would make it easier to judge if i am imagining the play or not!

Cheers

Hi

As it was parked when impacted the steering would have been in the locked position & therefore the 'woodruff key' would have been in its slot & if the wheel was hit this could very easyily have bent the column, quite normal in these types of accidents, only fix is to change the entire column & proberbly the steering lock as well, if your stuck I do have a complete column with lock & key from a Disco but unsure if that will fit ?, hope that helps

John

How the steering lock works -

Whe you take the key out of the ignition, a pin is released -

post-2-126812385475_thumb.jpg

The ignition lock is bolted with security bolts to the steering tube - in line with a slot cut in it -

post-2-126812393012_thumb.jpg

There's also a slot cut in the steering shaft, which when turned - allows the locking pin to fully extend and the steering lock is then fully engaged.

post-2-126812401888_thumb.jpg

If the steering is in the locked position when one of the road wheels is struck, then all that force is concentrated on the lock mechanism, shaft, and sleeve. The shaft is hardened steel, so I would expect the lock itself to take most of the force.

You should really check all connections between the road wheel and steering wheel for any damage (steering rods, track rod ends, drop arm ball joint, play in the steering box, lsteering link rod - steering box to steering column, then the steering column itself, and lock mechanism)

Les.

:blush: Now I think about it, I have a 300tdi Defender column somewhere, cannot remember how many splines on it though.

But, remember, without the engine running the PAS box has a lot of free movement.

Unless one of the wheels was jammed against something during the hit then something else has stopped the wheels turning and bent the rod.

Getting the ignition barrel off is the only way to confirm or allay your worries.