Door Mirror Arms

I appreciate this is not a major thing but it annoys the hell out of me as I see it every time I drive...... I got my Landy cleaned yesterday (G4LE 110>MY 2003) by the nice Romanian folks just down the road it came back nice and shiny, however I have noticed that yet again the stalks on the mirror arms have corroded and the paint has come off leaving the white flaky stuff below,

I changed them both 2 years ago for genuine Land Rover ones and really don’t want to go through that hassle again, as any of you that have changed them know it involves removing the door cards braking the plastic lugs in the process much swearing and leaving you with a feeling of was it really worth it......

So just thought this time I could paint them in situ but what’s the best way of treating them first do they go because the metal is just poor and is reacting with its self will this become another job that needs doing every year? Are there better ones out there that don’t succumb to the white electrolysis monster?

Cheers, Jason.

I appreciate this is not a major thing but it annoys the hell out of me as I see it every time I drive...... I got my Landy cleaned yesterday (G4LE 110>MY 2003) by the nice Romanian folks just down the road it came back nice and shiny, however I have noticed that yet again the stalks on the mirror arms have corroded and the paint has come off leaving the white flaky stuff below,

I changed them both 2 years ago for genuine Land Rover ones and really don’t want to go through that hassle again, as any of you that have changed them know it involves removing the door cards braking the plastic lugs in the process much swearing and leaving you with a feeling of was it really worth it......

So just thought this time I could paint them in situ but what’s the best way of treating them first do they go because the metal is just poor and is reacting with its self will this become another job that needs doing every year? Are there better ones out there that don’t succumb to the white electrolysis monster?

Cheers, Jason.

Gave mine a quick rub down & sprayed with tough black paint. Instantly looked better & not touched for about a year now. :D

A good rub down (as above) but then a thorough coat of etch primer before a top coat, that will help to provide a better key and keep the corrosion at bay, it would still be better to remove them first though.

Basically the stock paint is useless and replacing will end in the same results. They should be anodized not painted. Have not gotten to that point yet in the build but I'd just have them re-finished with a good base/clear and keep them waxed and it should stop happening.