Problems fitting my Fairey PTO drum winch to my Series... help please&

Effortless

Hi folks,

the latest problem in the long line of problems in fitting my Fairey PTO drum winch to The Heap, my 88... the UJ connected to the worm on the winch fouls the front cross-member. A few photos might help....

The UJ sits too high up for it to clear the front cross-member... This is a photo taken from under the right-hand chassis rail looking across the vehicle to the left hand chassis rail, with the front cross-member on the left (the one with the PTO hole - the hole is not used in this application)

279aa101.jpg

The winch as far as I can see is bolted correctly to its side frames, and the side frames sit correctly on the chassis rails. The side plates are located by the 4 normal bumper bolts, and then these plates are further bolted to the chassis by a vertical bolt at the back of the frame (seen here close to the radiator grille), and by further bolts through the side frames. This all seems correctly located.

76eba20b.jpg

How accurate are the dimensions of replacement chassis? It may be that the front cross-member here is too deep compared to factory spec. Has anyone here had experience of dimensional changes in replacement chassis? This one is from Marsland, about 10 years ago.

9d1d9185.jpg

And here's another picture, taken from just behind the front cross-member, showing the PTO hole, and showing how high the worm UJ is... not enough room to clear the cross-member!!! The clearance is so tight I had to dismantle the UJ just to get it onto the input shaft of the winch.

97ab94dc.jpg

Very frustrating, as I just have to fit the centre joint and shafts, and the winch should be up and running!!

Anyone on here have any advice??

Cheers,

Effortless.

It might be the photos, but it looks like the winch is too high at the back. I know this , page 11, is for a different winch, but the worm shaft should be horizontal / parallel to the road. Does the front square bar sit perfectly flat on the bumper?

Does the front square bar sit perfectly flat on the bumper?

You might have a point. The winch does seem to be too high at the back (or too low at the front), but I can't see how to alter the position of the winch. The side plates are bolted as far as I can see in the correct place, and sit squarely on top of the chassis legs, which is irritating as the whole winch does seem to be canted forward a bit, which raises the rear to the point where the UJ won't fit.

Effortless.

But I can't see how to alter the position of the winch. The side plates are bolted as far as I can see in the correct place, and sit squarely on top of the chassis legs, which is irritating as the whole winch does seem to be canted forward a bit, which raises the rear to the point where the UJ won't fit.

Hmmm, since the rear cross bar sits on top of the brackets, the only way would be to "adjust"* the cross bar or brackets, but you've just had them galved ...

Afterthought: can you spin the rear cross bar and bolt it under the brackets the other way up?

* using disc cutter and welder to deadly effect

Hmmm, since the rear cross bar sits on top of the brackets, the only way would be to "adjust"* the cross bar or brackets, but you've just had them galved ...

Afterthought: can you spin the rear cross bar and bolt it under the brackets the other way up?

* using disc cutter and welder to deadly effect

I might have to re-do the rear bracket, even though it's just been galved!! Doesn't cost a lot, I just leave my bits them with some agricultural engineers near here with a request that the next time they send off a load to Medway Galvanising, they chuck my bits in with them. I use an old wire coat hanger to wire all my bits together so they don't get lost. Last load cost me 51p, which is a saving when you realise that Medway want £70 as a minimum order, which is a lot if you're just doing a hand throttle quadrant and vent quadrants!!

The rear bracket won't spin, as it had mounting lugs for the alloy casing of the winch, and as the winch is asymmetric, I can't just turn it over.

Cheers for all the replies so far chaps, keep 'em coming!!

Effortless.