how to check diff lock

cooney?

High when I engaged the diff lock no light comes on i've checke the bulb and it works so i was just wondering how to check the difflock is engaged. Is it just a case of jacking the veihcle up and turning the wheels. Also the switch that shows it's engaged on the transfer box is it more likely to be that once again cheers cooney :D

High when I engaged the diff lock no light comes on i've checke the bulb and it works so i was just wondering how to check the difflock is engaged. Is it just a case of jacking the veihcle up and turning the wheels. Also the switch that shows it's engaged on the transfer box is it more likely to be that once again cheers cooney :D

Hi, the way i always use is to jack the front completely off the floor then engage the diff lock, Go under the disco and try turning the drive shaft if it keep spinning its not working. Gary

jack one wheel up so its off the ground.

ensure handbrake is off, engine off, wheels chocked.

wheel will rotate when difflock (middle one) is out wheel will stop rotating when diff lock is engaged

jack one wheel up so its off the ground.

ensure handbrake is off, engine off, wheels chocked.

wheel will rotate when difflock (middle one) is out wheel will stop rotating when diff lock is engaged

Isn't that a little inconvenient when out in a field?

Much easier to have a little light that comes on in the dash panel, I would have thought......... :rolleyes:

This is clearly a problem with the circuit/bulb in the dash, most probably the contact switch.

Isn't that a little inconvenient when out in a field?

Much easier to have a little light that comes on in the dash panel, I would have thought......... :rolleyes:

This is clearly a problem with the circuit/bulb in the dash, most probably the contact switch.

the original post suggested jacking the wheels up so i made the assumption they had access to a jack and were after ideas of how to check the difflock. i wasn't aware it needed to be done in a field and was merely suggesting a solution to question posed within the parameters i believed existed.

My expertise is obviously not on a par with yours as i am not able to diagnose the circuit as the fault from the original thread or do you know more or do you actually have anything beneficial to add this post?

Mucho apologiso! No offence meant! :(

I was having a humorous moment, but NOT at your expense and I am truly sorry if you felt my comment inappropriate.

The point I was making is based on my experience of the same fault, where sorting out the contact and circuitry did indeed fix the problem.

The mechanicals tend to be sufficiently robust that they are less likely to fail than the electrics, especially when a critical part of the circuit is out in the weather.