200TDi Starter motor not making any noise

Hi

Im back again with my Land Rover 90 with 200TDi Disco Engine. This time my starter motor is not functioning at all.

A few days ago tried to turn the engine over and only heard the starter motor solenoid clicking. I assumed this would be a flat battery because I had heard the exact same thing before when I have had flat batterys. I took the battery inside to trickle charge over night and have just put back in the land rover.

Even after charging the battery I am still only hearing the starter motor solenoid!!

I have checked:

1. Battery voltage = 13v +

2. Earth lead from starter motor to Engine block

3. Earth Lead from engine block to chassey

When I touched the +ve terminal terminal to the solenoid it was very hot! so I disconnected the battery quickly...

I do hope that the starter motor has not given up. It was new february 2009.

Im going to continue to work out whats wrong, but any help is greatly appreciated

H

Thank you Western. It has started raining so im going to remove it tomorrow morning. I was hoping to be able to do something without removing it because last time I had to remove the downpipe. Its a bit annoying seeing that the motor is only 1 year old. Ha oh well.

Good Morning

I have taken out the Starter Motor and tested straight to the battery and there was nothing except a little sparking from the -ve terminal when I attached the last jump lead. I think the motor has done something horrid to itself.

The best thing to is replace rather than repair i expect. Im at University in Portsmouth, but I have a good spare at home in Norfolk, so I dont really want to have to buy an expensive replacement. Does anybody know of any cheap units good enough to get me home? Hopefully near Portsmouth.

H

Earlier I connected straight to the starter bypassing the solenoid with absolutely no results.

I have just connected to the solenoid and used a 3rd Jump lead to trigger the solenoid. This time the gear fired out but there was no rotation from the motor. All I have done is use the solenoid to trigger the gear arm.

So it is still the same problem really.

H