Mounting Safari Equip Cubby

Yet another part with zero instructions at all and no obvious way to mount it. It looks like there should be some kind of adapter plate provided to go between the box and the seatbox. It also appears to be far too long for the available space and much narrower than it needed to be. There is also apparently no mechanism for mounting in the radio slot, they assume you want to use those flimsy brackets single-din radios use, which is not much help if you're putting in a shortwave. Grr.

On top of this parts of the lock mechanism are missing and the powder coat is already coming off and all it's done since arriving is sit on a shelf, inside.

I would really appreciate some insight as to how this is supposed to mount, it LOOKS like I'm supposed to cut away sections of the seatbox to make it sit flat but before I go and do something like that I'd like to be really certain.

I really envy you guys who can see things in person before buying them.

post-8959-126896308109_thumb.jpg

post-8959-126896308524_thumb.jpg

post-8959-126896309759_thumb.jpg

If you were local I'd suggest returning it, that may prove more of a ballache from where you are though... those locks are pretty universal so your local hardware store should have something suitable? I guess the alternative would be to sell it on and get another? The mobile storage solutions ones appear popular?

Mike

Figuring out how to properly mount it would be nice. I think I may have to cut the cup holders off and add some to the transmission tunnel cover that will be going on eventually. Someone better with the parts catalog than I could possibly find the part numbers for those brackets? :)

I have one similar. It has piano hinges rather than the two seperate bolted hinges yours has. It doesnt have a shiny plate on it either.

I just raised it up by mounting it on a couple of bits of rectangular box section. This means it sits higher than the folds in the seatbox and as such is much easier to position.

Don't be too fooled by the width. If it were any winder I think I'd be hitting my elbow against it, or bashing my hip.

cubby1.jpg

Thanks, that might be what I end up doing. I think I'll make some arm-rests and put them on the sides if it sits at the right height and put some map pockets below those. I'm really leaning towards cutting off the cup holder portion though, it would fit much better and I can deal with adding some when I do the transmission tunnel cover (I'm doing a folded alloy cover for it to allow more sound-absorbing foam to be placed under it, and to avoid using carpet). I'll probably sandblast it next week and send the bits for paint in body colour as well, need to bring some of the Zermatt inside since I've covered up most of it with soundproofing now. :)