Cleaning Engine Parts

pw8757

I'm halfway through an engine rebuild (see posts a few weeks ago regarding rough running issues)

I've got to the stage where the engine is completely dismantled, I know the knocking sounds were indeed the shell bearings, judging by the copper shining through.... :huh:

The valve stem oils seals were actually weeping and the rear crankshaft oil seal does indeed need replacing.

Last weekend, all the bits went off to my local engineering shop for testing, measuring and putting to rights, so I was left with a whole load of grubby stuff that had a good soak and a scrub in the parts washer.

Question. How to make them really clean? Answer (informed by what I had seen at the engineers) Put them in the dishwasher!! :)

Along comes Mrs W. :angry:

Much explaining takes place. Considerable persuasion. Use of phrases such as "I'll make sure it's clean afterwards" Mrs W's mood changes slightly. <_<

Moral of story:

Dishwasher is V Good at cleaning engine parts. It is a good idea to discuss the intention to do so PRIOR to the event. Ensure gritty deposits are removed from runners afterwards. (The scraping noise they make will ensure the return of :angry: V. quickly)

With nothing to play with this weekend - do you think I might get away with putting the floor carpets in the washing machine, or should I try another method? :D

Personal experience I got, is that its not recomendable to was empty brass for reloading purposes in the washing machine, at least, even if stuffed in a washing net.

The practice is much frowned upon by the machineboss aka Mrs... :blink:

But floor carpets should be ok - please inform us about the outcome, mine whould do with a bit of cleaning... :D

Find an excuse to hire a carpet cleaner from Homebase, B&Q etc... with the vague promise that you will be doing that grubby patch just inside the hall etc.... that way, it is considered as being 'household' and not, 'that damned car again...'

Then, purely to finish off the hot soapy water that you have in the machine, you can nip out and do the car carpets that you had conveniently taken out and laid out on the drive...

Be careful putting alloy parts in the dishie!!

i did that with a suzuki GSXR cylinder head, with a pair of ABU ct rocket beachcasting reels for good measure.(she who must be obeyed was out for afternoon!)

Shiny!! :)

oh carp! :unsure:

now gone fluffy! :(

dishwasher salt dont like alloy!

dont know HOW i'm going to clean my freestyles now! :D